You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP: Text Convert to Curves - Missing?

5 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

NO, you've thrown that "Text Convert to Curves" in and I asked you where that menu options is at all in AD, aka ... Where should that be in AD's text menu? ... since I haven't seen something like that in my AD version here!

"Text Convert to Curves" comes from the title of this topic -- Walt did not throw that in. If it should be in the Text menu at all, or how it should be labeled if it is, is a different issue, one of several this topic now includes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

In any case, as Convert to Curves as a Layer operation, if we were to agree that it should be on all the relevant object/layer Context Menus where it could apply that would mean it should be on the context menus for:

• Artistic Text
  • Frame Text
  • All the shape context menus (rectangle, ellipse, etc.)

And, interestingly, it is on all of those except Artistic and Frame Text. Given that inconsistency, I will concede that it should be on those context menus, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

"Text Convert to Curves" comes from the title of this topic -- Walt did not throw that in. If it should be in the Text menu at all, or how it should be labeled if it is, is a different issue, one of several this topic now includes.

You're leading to mismatching things too here with your pick up from comments addressed to other people above. - When Walt asked: "So, are you suggesting that everything on the Layer menu should also be on the Context Menubar?" I answered that since this thread is about "Text convert to curves" topic and since the screenshot I showed there are only the convert to curves entries highlighted/marked, that I just talk about that option then. - I no where said that menu entries should be changed or something like that, that's your interpretation not mine!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

11 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

You're leading to mismatching things too here with your pick up from comments addressed to other people above.

I am just trying to make sense of all the comments & what they are intended to apply to. Since by the third or forth post this topic had expanded to cover considerably more than the titular question, it has become increasingly difficult to match comments with who they are intended for.

After all, early on the OP raised the issue of why context items were not simply greyed out rather than hidden. That in turn lead to a discussion of the different display modes, the difficulty of customizing the context toolbar to individual preferences, & so on. As a regular contributor to these forums, you know this sort of topic broadening is not unusual, & that some users find it beneficial because they learn useful things they otherwise would not.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 3/3/2019 at 11:44 AM, R C-R said:

No, in Separated Mode there is just one main & context toolbar, which can be positioned anywhere on the screen. Its width can be adjusted so that for example it can be made narrow enough that it does not overlap any floating Studio panels or tabbed panel groups. The position & sizes of the toolbars & panels are saved separately for separated & normal window modes.

In neither mode are the toolbars attached to an image as such -- in normal window mode they are attached to the workspace window, which could be using the full screen application view or the windowed view mode. There is also a 'nearly full screen' view mode that leaves room for the main Mac menubar at the top of the screen & for the Mac Dock, which can be positioned system-wide at the bottom or either side of the screen, or hidden, with this 'nearly full screen' taking that into account. In addition, there are a few variations for multi-monitor support, & some of them are slightly different in different versions of the Mac OS.

So basically, there are quite a few view options available on Macs, some with no direct Windows counterpart, that developers have to consider when designing cross-platform application UI's. 

Sounds like the Mac version offers more flexibility. I'm glad I never had to deal with cross-platform apps when I was a dev...

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

24 minutes ago, drippy cat said:

Hi everyone. Sorry to come late to this thread. I've just updated the Solid Foundations Text video that was originally mentioned so that the screen is zoomed out to full. Now you can see the Convert to Curves button when it is pressed.

Your change allows me to see that you are clicking on the Move Tool - I could see you were clicking on Convert to Curves before, just not how you got it to appear on the toolbar! 

17 minutes ago, casterle said:

Sounds like the Mac version offers more flexibility. I'm glad I never had to deal with cross-platform apps when I was a dev...

Yes, and no.

The Windows version allows one to resize the Help in more ways. But the Mac version (I think) allows the Help to be docked.

The Windows version allows one to have both docked (tabbed) and floated images at the same time. The Mac version has Separated mode, but when not Separated you have only tabbed images, with no possibility of floating an image.

So they provide different functions, and to me it's not a matter of one being more flexible but of them being different, and both having advantages. (But yes, being a cross-platform app developer has its challenges :) )

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, and no.

The Windows version allows one to resize the Help in more ways. But the Mac version (I think) allows the Help to be docked.

The Windows version allows one to have both docked (tabbed) and floated images at the same time. The Mac version has Separated mode, but when not Separated you have only tabbed images, with no possibility of floating an image.

So they provide different functions, and to me it's not a matter of one being more flexible but of them being different, and both having advantages. (But yes, being a cross-platform app developer has its challenges :) )

Yes, flexible in different ways seems to better describe the situation. I guess these differences must be because of differences at the OS level, or perhaps in differences in user expectations on the two platforms. But I have not found them to be a big deal (with an exception or two).

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

FWIW, the Mac Help window can be reduced to an icon on the Dock using the yellow 'traffic light' window control button at the top of the window, much like any other window. It can also be resized. The only unusual thing about it is it can 'float' on top of all other windows. This once was the default behavior (& may still be) but there is a Terminal command that can be used to change that between a floating & regular window, as explained here.

Affinity Photo 

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

The only unusual thing about it is it can 'float' on top of all other windows.

This is a feature often called 'always on top' in some windows, generally utilities. It's quite useful.