You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP: Text Convert to Curves - Missing?

Well, since the corresponding layer menu option is available/applicable for the text tool, when in text editing mode with that ...

layer_menu.jpg.1693b228a40527f6e6ec1a985e568a54.jpg

... it makes also sense to apply that option then into the context toolbar ...

text_obj.jpg.d4a7e1ce16e1ca26e2cc5439c224dd63.jpg

... otherwise it looks like an inconsistent UI usage restriction.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, >|< said:

You were suggesting that no further additions be made to the currently existing context controls on the grounds that that could subject you to the horror of that button becoming visible at the end of the bar when your window is narrow. 

Nope. I was just explaining why it is not safe to assume there will always be room on the toolbar to display everything at once. If you read a bit more carefully, you might notice that I mentioned that I frequently subject myself to the "horror" of the button becoming visible & why.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

17 hours ago, R C-R said:

I don't know if you are using a Mac or Windows PC, but on Macs in 'non-separated' window mode (where the toolbars are restricted to the width of the Affinity workspace window) that window can be narrowed enough that only a few items will fit on  the context toolbar, regardless of the tool or object selected. That necessitates clicking on the  toolbar icon to drop down in a text menu list everything that won't fit.

The same thing is true for the main toolbar, particularly when it has been customized to include a lot of items not in the default set.

Obviously, it is not normal to work with a very narrow workspace window, but sometimes it is hard to avoid that if the screen isn't very wide to begin with & some of its space is needed to display a floating studio panel like the Layers one wide enough to see all of its long custom layer names.

Very cool, I had no idea you could do that on Macs. In Separated Mode do you get a toolbar on each floating image? 

As far as I know, on the PC I can float images and panels, but the toolbars remain attached to the main window. Floating or attaching them to a floating image would be useful.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

it makes also sense to apply that option then into the context toolbar ..

So, are you suggesting that everything on the Layer menu should also be on the Context Menubar?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

... otherwise it looks like ainconsistent UI usage restriction.

Have you noticed that in the 1.7 beta the stroke option is no longer on the Context toolbar when text objects are selected & that the paragraph & character buttons are now icons rather than words?

I think this is intended to reduce the need for the  button with narrower displays.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

So, are you suggesting that everything on the Layer menu should also be on the Context Menubar?

AFAI recall this thread is about "Text Convert to Curves" and that's the option I showed highlighted/marked above and talking about.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

12 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Have you noticed that in the 1.7 beta the stroke option is no longer on the Context toolbar when text objects are selected & that the paragraph & character buttons are now icons rather than words?

NO, I don't use and have the AD/APh betas installed at all. - The only beta I've installed is APub so far.

17 minutes ago, casterle said:

In Separated Mode do you get a toolbar on each floating image? 

No, in Separated Mode there is just one main & context toolbar, which can be positioned anywhere on the screen. Its width can be adjusted so that for example it can be made narrow enough that it does not overlap any floating Studio panels or tabbed panel groups. The position & sizes of the toolbars & panels are saved separately for separated & normal window modes.

In neither mode are the toolbars attached to an image as such -- in normal window mode they are attached to the workspace window, which could be using the full screen application view or the windowed view mode. There is also a 'nearly full screen' view mode that leaves room for the main Mac menubar at the top of the screen & for the Mac Dock, which can be positioned system-wide at the bottom or either side of the screen, or hidden, with this 'nearly full screen' taking that into account. In addition, there are a few variations for multi-monitor support, & some of them are slightly different in different versions of the Mac OS.

So basically, there are quite a few view options available on Macs, some with no direct Windows counterpart, that developers have to consider when designing cross-platform application UI's. 

Affinity Photo 

30 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

NO, I don't use and have the AD/APh betas installed at all. - The only beta I've installed is APub so far.

The stroke, paragraph, & character context toolbar options are the same in the Affinity Publisher beta as in the Designer & Photo 1.7 ones.

Affinity Photo 

3 minutes ago, >|< said:

There is already a solution in place for when the context toolbar is too short to display all of its content, as you have stated, so how can adding one more button to the toolbar when the text tool is active be such a problem to you.

The  button solution is not a problem for me, nor did I say it was. Again, I was just explaining why it is not safe to assume there will always be room on the toolbars (plural!) to display everything at once. I do not know how to make it any clearer than that. :S

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

AFAI recall this thread is about "Text Convert to Curves" and that's the option I showed highlighted/marked above and talking about.

As I see your post above, you highlighted/marked the more generic "Convert to Curves" option in the Layer menu, not "Text Convert to Curves". That's the same generic option that one would get with the Move tool selected. That is, it's a layer-based option, available for any layer that supports it in either the Layer menu or the Move Tool's Context menu.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

12 minutes ago, >|< said:

I missed the moment when someone assumed that there will always be room on the toolbars to display everything at once. Can you point that out, please?

When @casterle said "There's room on the Text Tool toolbar..." in this post, from the context "always" seemed (at least to me) to be implied, possibly because narrower windows or displays were not being considered.

I don't know if at the time that was a good assumption on my part or not but either way, it should be abundantly clear by now that I have no objection to the use of the  button when there is not enough room for everything, that the 'convert to curves' feature is not missing in any Affinity app (beta or retail), that it can be invoked with a keyboard shortcut independently of what is available on the toolbar, & that what appears on the toolbars is subject to change in future versions.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

As I see your post above, you highlighted/marked the more generic "Convert to Curves" option in the Layer menu, not "Text Convert to Curves".

Where should that be in AD's text menu?

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

That's the same generic option that one would get with the Move tool selected. That is, it's a layer-based option, available for any layer that supports it in either the Layer menu or the Move Tool's Context menu.

Not quite exactly the same, since here in this case, for the above shown text screenshot it was selected with the active text tool in text edit mode and the layer panel menu offered this option as enabled/applicable then. Where in contrast the text tools context menu doesn't have or offer that option on the same selection, even it is instead applicable in the layers menu.

24 minutes ago, >|< said:

So, it would have been better for this thread if you had said nothing instead of making a specious argument against the OP's correct suggestion that there is room for the currently absent Convert To Curves button in the context toolbar when a text tool is active and a text object is selected.

What is better for this thread is a matter of opinion, but there is nothing specious about saying that there is not always going to be enough room to display everything one might like on the toolbars at the same time. 

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

Why should it be anywhere in the Text menu? It is a conversion that can be applied to any applicable layer type, whether text or not. I think is probably why they decided to put it on the Layers menu, along with the other items applicable to various layer types.

Affinity Photo 

22 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Why should it be anywhere in the Text menu? It is a conversion that can be applied to any applicable layer type, whether text or not. I think is probably why they decided to put it on the Layers menu, along with the other items applicable to various layer types.

That was related to this here and thus meant more for Walt at all...

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

As I see your post above, you highlighted/marked the more generic "Convert to Curves" option in the Layer menu, not "Text Convert to Curves".

13 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

That was related to this here and thus meant more for Walt at all...

Perhaps so, but @R C-R's response was almost word for word what I would have written in response, so I didn't see the need to say anything further.

Convert to Curves is a layer operation, and so it is appropriate to have it in the Layer menu and in the Context menu for a more generalized layer-related tool such as the Move Tool. Therefore it's perfectly placed as it is now, in my opinion.

-- Walt
PC:

Where did I said to place that into other menus? That's something you might have (mis)interpreted both on your own here. - I didn't said to replace menu entries or the like, all I said instead is, that when you can access that option when in text editing mode from the layers menu, then it also makes sense to propagate and activate that option the same time on the text context toolbar here.

4 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Where did I said to place that into other menus? That's something you might have (mis)interpreted both on your own here. - I didn't said to replace menu entries or the like, all I said instead is, that when you can access that option when in text editing mode from the layers menu, then it also makes sense to propagate and activate that option the same time on the text context toolbar here.

I'm no longer sure which of us you're talking to, given the lack of a quote. But a ways upstream in this thread I said

And you responded:

So that's one place where you suggested duplicating that option into another menu.

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

So that's one place where you suggested duplicating that option into another menu.

NO, you've thrown that "Text Convert to Curves" in and I asked you where that menu options is at all in AD, aka ... Where should that be in AD's text menu? ... since I haven't seen something like that in my AD version here!

3 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

NO, you've thrown that "Text Convert to Curves" in and I asked you where that menu options is at all in AD, aka ... Where should that be in AD's text menu? ... since I haven't seen something like that in my AD version here!

Ah, sorry for the confusion. That goes back a bit earlier, where I quoted your statement (with my emphasis):

-- Walt
PC: