You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Smaller font in layers panel (1.7.0.251)

Improved look of Layers panel to more closely match the macOS version

Hmmmm... Better call it a change, I'm not sure it is an improvement over the previous versions. The font used is too small at 96 dpi (unless you are less than 40 -- not my case). The previous font is much clearer and easy to read. Ideally this should be a setting, I wouldn't mind going through zipped XML or JSON files to change display fonts. Thanks a lot for the other improvements, though.

Exactly, the font in the layer panel is now too small and unreadable compared to earlier versions of Beta and version 1.6.
Please go back to the previous size or add the option to change the size of the font in the layer panel as you can now change the size of the thumbnails.
Also, the thumbnails in the layer panel showing the text and text in the frame are now so small that for a moment I was wondering what it could be.
And one more thing. Layer coloration is possible only when choosing 7 colors (faded colors), why only so much and why you can not create your own colors?

Amen to that

Also (this is a general rant and not Serif specific) I would like to tar and feather the ones who decided a dark gray on black was a great color choice for menus or anything else that has to be read [\Ranr]

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

1101/5000

I am more and more upset with this small font in the layers panel. All day I worked today on leaflet and business card designs at Affinity Designer BETA 1.7.0.251 and I'm hurting my eyes from staring at these tiny subtitles. At this point, the layer names are written in the smallest font located on the entire program screen. Just a layer panel is probably the most watched place on the screen, where the eyes are often focused to see the name of the layer. Until now, I did not have to go to the screen to see what was written there.
Quite unnecessarily this font was changed by the Serif.
I am now very discouraged by this change.
I have the impression that the people who create the program do not work on this program in reality. Please, sit down at the computer running Affinity Designer and try to design something for eight hours. We'll see what will happen to your eyes.
The program is cool, I've been working on it for three years. Please, Serif, do not spoil him, listen to people who want to work professionally and want to tell you what needs to be improved.

6.png

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Hi @GRAFKOM, I assure you, we do use the applications, and we do evaluate the changes we make. The change to the text size has made it the same as the macOS version.

What resolution is your monitor, and what is the display scale?

You are probably not taking into account that most Macs use high dpi monitors while most monitors attached to Windows machines are low dpi like grafkom's and mine. Please revert this change ASAP, or provide an option. You already have lots of problems and bugs to solve, you don't need to create new ones.

Definitely can't call that an improvement. I completely agree with the rest, it was better before. The text for the layers names is too small to read it comfortably.

The panels look better thought, I like what you've done there, and would love to have the toolbar icons from the iPad version in Windows and Mac. It looks way much better than the current one.

affinity-designer-for-ipad-sample-daruma.jpg

• Staff
2 hours ago, RosomakPL said:

The idea of adding a " change font size" option is very good. What has now been done is unacceptable. I am over 45 years old and unfortunately I use glasses. Working with this interface is torment!

This option is available for macOS in Preferences but Windows has to rely on DPI scaling.

2 hours ago, RosomakPL said:

The idea of adding a " change font size" option is very good. What has now been done is unacceptable. I am over 45 years old and unfortunately I use glasses. Working with this interface is torment!

I'm not sure wearing glasses is relevant to this - I wear glasses too! And our ages aren't that dissimilar... 

@Mark Ingram, that's one of the funniest excuses about a bad UI decision I've ever seen. You probably don't have strong presbyopia. But even if you do, no one from the dev team can replicate a real user's experience.

On another note, are Windows users some kind of second class citizens? Why copy things from the Mac UI even if they just don't fit?

Edited by rubs
Rephrasing

13 minutes ago, rubs said:

@Mark Ingram, that's one of the funniest excuses about a bad UI decision I've ever seen. You probably don't have strong presbyopia. But even if you do, no one from the dev team can replicate a real user's experience.

On another note, are Windows users some kind of second class citizens? Why copy things from the Mac UI even if they just don't fit?

No, we aren't copying the macOS UI, we are fixing the UI that was never implemented as designed. The Layers panel was one of the first things that was added when we started the project, and for whatever reason, we never implemented it to the same spec as the macOS one. As such, we've now corrected this. This isn't about copying what's right on macOS, it's about having a consistent UI (where relevant) across all platforms.

What resolution is your monitor, and what is your display scale? Can you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Windows actually allows you to change the text size, so we may investigate supporting that (we only support display scale currently, not text scale):

image.png

3 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Windows actually allows you to change the text size, so we may investigate supporting that (we only support display scale currently, not text scale)

It might be better to implement the same text-size UI preference you have for Mac. Or, lacking that, to consider that perhaps the UI should be different in this area between Mac and Windows :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

As such, we've now corrected this

Maybe it's a correction software-wise, which I can appreciate. But a very bad decision regarding the UI.

What resolution is your monitor, and what is your display scale? Can you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Sure. Main monitor 2560 x 1080 @ 96 dpi, an auxiliary one 1366 x 768 @ 96 dpi. Windows is at 100%. Here's a screenshot. If anyone pays close attention it is easy to see how many different font sizes and variants you use in the Layers panel at the same time.

image.png.59228070cdef67481a03acabc09f0a1e.png

The smaller ones are pretty to read here (of course we are out of context), but a pain to use everyday. Let me also remind you that on an ultrawide monitor the layer panel may be quite far away from the work area.

Windows actually allows you to change the text size, so we may investigate supporting that (we only support display scale currently, not text scale):

I don't think forcing anyone to change the whole Windows UI for just one application is a good idea.

It's about the font size only in the layer panel. All other fonts used to operate the program are correct. The previous versions of beta and 1.6 have plain fonts, you have unnecessarily changed it in version 1.7.0 251 Beta.

By changing font size to 125% in windows 10 all the fonts in the program are enlarged, also by enlarging the panels, which causes the program to get clogged on the screen.

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It might be better to implement the same text-size UI preference you have for Mac. Or, lacking that, to consider that perhaps the UI should be different in this area between Mac and Windows :)

Exactly.

The old font still shows while editing. (Which seems to work well now, at last. Thanks for fixing it! Too bad there is no F2 shortcut because there seems to be no Layer / Rename command.)

image.png.8933a102e329ca0cdfc855e69c402d01.png

I was wondering. Are Affinity programs made for dwarfs? The most important elements to support the program, eg fonts of layer panels or fill color icons and borders are now in the new beta version so small that you have to try hard to see them or hit them.

I am afraid that Serif will not improve these ailments repeatedly reported by Windows users. They stubbornly do so despite the opposition of users.
A lot of cool things have been added and are still being added, but some of the robot is backing away, stepping forward and stepping back.

I really use Affinity Designer every day for work and I would like to continue to use more power. I work and design also for most of the day in CorelDraw version 20.
I bought this new program for two positions, and I have been working on CorelDraw since 1990 since version 3.
I paid $ 432 for 1 program while waiting for the revisions and new Affinity Beta versions.

I would like to pay more for Affinity programs so that they will not be spoiled in the meantime.
For now, I use Affinity software for graphic design but unfortunately I do not work with laser and CNC cutting machines, so I have to use CorelDraw
Please Serif give your bank account number if you need it, I will pay more, to be able to continue your great product, without any fatal changes.

I was a little angry, but whatever.
Translated by Google.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.