You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 7/16/2019 at 8:35 AM, JimWelch said:

Additionally, FoxIt (free) PDF viewer allows you to create bookmarks using a UI.

Thanks for this Jim... the free FoxIt PDF viewer did work for me to add bookmarks manually... thankfully I only have a few to add. 

On 3/19/2020 at 4:23 PM, Chaosmeister said:

it's 1.8 and not Bookmarks in sight. Come on Serif. I regret ever giving you my money.

I suppose this may have been tongue in cheek, but I certainly feel the exact opposite.  I'll give Serif my money every day and twice on Sundays if that means I don't need to shell out 1000x more for an Adobe subscription. 

That said, I do agree that bookmark support is an important feature for a lot of our workflows, and it does unfortunately mean that Publisher isn't a 100% complete alternative to InDesign/Framemaker etc.  It certainly pains me to "finish" my work in Publisher, only to need some other application to actually finish it.  So I support you in this feature request! 

Hi

Of course we all find some solution to add bookmars on PDF exported whith Affinity Publisher
BUT why it should be so complicated? I am very happy of my trial version of Affinity Publisher. I just buy the complete version today

Please Serif add this feature as soon as possible, it is sadly missing

Hi there,

I see no support on this on the latest version (1.8.3). We are slowly trying to migrate to Affinity products in my studio, but some missing features in Publisher prevent it. Designer is great, Photo is great. Publisher...still not there yet.

Is there any official roadmap for this? Any news from Affinity?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really think this needs to be a feature, its not right we have to find other software to do this which I still haven't yet managed to find one.
Foxit reader will  let you do it one at a time which = very time consuming.
It would be much better to generate it from the hyperlinks in the TOC.
The other missing aspect is importing of hyperlinks with a pdf..
Please work on adding these aspects.

Edited by derrickmg

Hi There,

I would like to explain to Affinity product managers just why this is a critical feature, along with some better way to create "book" files.

I'm publishing books.  I don't write them and papers.  I have to send these out to 4 different teams to work on them.  The teams get PDFs. I cannot edit the PDFs bookmarkes, then receive feedback from the teams and then manually recreate the bookmarks again.

Please add this feature and let us know when it will be implemented.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 6:37 PM, Stephen B said:

I am currently working my way through Publisher by recreating existing projects. By doing this I find I can learn quickly to adapt my old workflows to the new tool and at the same time learn about Publisher's advantages and (as of now) shortcomings.

Structuring a document is there, using this structure tree (or parts of it) as PDF bookmarks seems to be missing. This and some more or less advanced options like how the PDF should appear when opened would be really appreciated.

Example: I do a lot of PDFs that are usually built for high quality printing, but are first viewed on screen and often kept as an on-screen reference. PDF settings for those include "View as single page", which helps flicking though pages, and "Show bookmarks", which really helps navigating the chapters and important pages or paragraphs.

As of now, these settings need to be done in my very vintage Acrobat pro, individually for each exported PDF.

+1. Creating bookmarks and controlling viewing options when opening the PDF would be I feature I would like to have.

• 2 weeks later...

Just gave Publisher the once over... was thinking about picking it up to replace Nisus Writer Pro for our software documentation as I'm a big fan of Photo and Designer.

It is a shame the seemingly competent TOC generator can not create a PDF based TOC. Unfortunately, that is a dealbreaker for me.

On 6/18/2020 at 8:46 AM, ScottinPollock said:

Just gave Publisher the once over... was thinking about picking it up to replace Nisus Writer Pro for our software documentation as I'm a big fan of Photo and Designer.

It is a shame the seemingly competent TOC generator can not create a PDF based TOC. Unfortunately, that is a dealbreaker for me.

Do you mean a ToC with links to the pages? It does that here on Mac OS 10.14.6 and 10.12.6.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

57 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Do you mean a ToC with links to the pages? It does that here on Mac OS 10.14.6 and 10.12.6.

No… I am talking about legitimate PDF ToC entries that are available in the sidebar of most PDF readers (Preview, Acrobat, etc.).  Forcing the user to scroll to an in-document page with ToC links is simply not an option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I keep finding absolutely essential basic features missing from Affinity Publisher. It's disappointing. First footnote/endnotes and now bookmarks.

I had assumed that the Table of Contents generator would also make bookmarks from the same outline. That would be the easiest way to implement this features with few changes to the design. But it would then be essential to be able to hide the TOC. Because sometimes I want the bookmarks without a formal TOC in the document itself.

• 2 weeks later...

A large project is due and I only now noticed the missing bookmarks, I'll manually add it this time but definitely a must have for all large PDF exports. In addition TOC has been very difficult to work with in general and is causing my project to crash repeatedly when I update a certain TOC, which I have to replace now to fix that. I hope the bookmarks and TOC get some love. 

Overall I'm a massive fan of Affinity Designer and Publisher though.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, all. The very first public iteration of the 1.9 beta is in. Guess what it includes:

5 hours ago, AdamW said:

New Features and Improvements

We are still very early in the beta process for 1.9. We have additional features we expect to integrate over the next few weeks.

PDF Bookmarks
Bookmarks provide a listing of flagged content that are present within a PDF document.
Bookmarks can be added via the Anchor Panel or automatically generated from a Table of Contents.

[…]

If any of you care to beta test, go download the beta, see where it works, where it doesn't, where it breaks, and report back in the Windows or Mac beta sub-forums.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

A closer reading shows that we will have to wait for the bookmarks.

A closer reading of what? The announcements say they can be used in the current Publisher beta, and don't mention any known issues.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

A closer reading of what? The announcements say they can be used in the current Publisher beta, and don't mention any known issues.

And a further closer reading shows I was wrong in my interpretation of "...additional features we expect to integrate over the next few weeks..."

'Tis there in the Anchor pane, just have to tick the box. But they don't show up in the Bookmarks of Preview on the Mac. Did show the ToC in the ToC but sadly they only show up as an alphabetized list not in the page order. And removing one from the body of the text didn't remove it.

Early days yet.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

43 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Tis there in the Anchor pane, just have to tick the box. But they don't show up in the Bookmarks of Preview on the Mac.

They show up in Acrobat Reader on Windows, using the PDF for Export preset. They do need to be enabled in the More... settings, but that preset has them enabled by default.

Like hyperlinks, bookmarks won't show up if you export using the PDF for Print preset; use PDF for Export. (Possibly they would show up in PDF for Print, too, if you enable them in More....)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

They show up in Acrobat Reader on Windows, using the PDF for Export preset. They do need to be enabled in the More... settings, but that preset has them enabled by default.

Like hyperlinks, bookmarks won't show up if you export using the PDF for Print preset; use PDF for Export. (Possibly they would show up in PDF for Print, too, if you enable them in More....)

Can confirm they do not show up in Preview on the Mac, tried all export settings and they never show up 

• 3 months later...

Any updates on this? Sounds like good news that it might be implemented in 1.9, does anyone know when it will be released or if it now works properly?

I'm working on a software manual where it would be very useful if I wouldn't have to use another application to add the pdf-bookmarks after exporting the pdf from Affinity Publisher.

• 1 month later...