You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It looks like there is no way to create a PDF with bookmarks? There is no UI for bookmarks in the Export...PDF dialogs, nor are there any bookmarks in a PDF when an AP document with Anchors is exported.

Seems like creating an "Index" doesn't do anything with PDF bookmarks, too.

Since many printed publications are also used as PDFs available online (online increasing,  printed decreasing), I'd recommend to add a feature to add bookmarks to PDF files exported from AP.

Win10, AP 1.7.0.249

If you have "Include Hyperlinks" selected in the More dialog when you export your PDF, the index entries will be linked to the pages where the terms appear. (Note that you may need to scroll down to see that option; I don't know its default setting.)

TOC entries will also be hyperlinked by default, I believe, and the page numbers in the TOC will function properly.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, NorbertWeiss_1 said:

Thanks Walt. Yes, hyperlinks do work, but no bookmarks are created in the exported PDF.

I think this is a matter of semantics, Hyperlinks are different from Bookmarks in a PDF. As I understand it a Bookmark is something I add to the PDF you send me, they are after publication for me to be able to find where I was perviously reading the book.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

54 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

As I understand it a Bookmark is something I add to the PDF you send me, they are after publication for me to be able to find where I was perviously reading the book.

This is more how eBooks work, rather than PDFs. You can't create a bookmark in most PDF readers yourself, only by using software such as Acrobat. Normally Bookmarks are used to take you to various sections, items or chapters within a PDF. Hyperlinks can also be used to link to external items.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

6 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Normally Bookmarks are used to take you to various sections, items or chapters within a PDF

And that is what I use them for, I put them in myself as I find something I know I will refer to later as I read the (fine) manual. Haven't used Acrobat for probably eight to twelve years now.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Both QuarkXPress & InDesign can create bookmarks automatically. Well, it's a bit more faffing about in ID. But both applications can create them from hyperlinks. Often made from a TOC to jump to specific chapters or pages. The below was created from the TOC automatically when the PDF was created.

capture-002541.png.b36bdfc25e7460621a17d79659c2d3cf.png

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

both applications can create them from hyperlinks

Wouldn't it be more logical to create them from anchors?

You could have a property on the anchor to "export as a bookmark" if you want it to show up in produced PDFs...

• 4 months later...

I am currently working my way through Publisher by recreating existing projects. By doing this I find I can learn quickly to adapt my old workflows to the new tool and at the same time learn about Publisher's advantages and (as of now) shortcomings.

Structuring a document is there, using this structure tree (or parts of it) as PDF bookmarks seems to be missing. This and some more or less advanced options like how the PDF should appear when opened would be really appreciated.

Example: I do a lot of PDFs that are usually built for high quality printing, but are first viewed on screen and often kept as an on-screen reference. PDF settings for those include "View as single page", which helps flicking though pages, and "Show bookmarks", which really helps navigating the chapters and important pages or paragraphs.

As of now, these settings need to be done in my very vintage Acrobat pro, individually for each exported PDF.

Designer, Photo & Publisher on macOS – Designer & Photo on an iPad pro with Pencil

• 2 weeks later...

Just chiming in to say that PDF bookmark creation is a must for me too. I make PDFs for customers to browse on their computers as well as being printed, and offering bookmarks are a key part in helping customers navigate a document. Turning a ToC into bookmarks is just a checkbox in InDesign, it'd be great if it was similarly easy here.

For the time being, I'm using this tool to import bookmarks into my PDFs. I make a text file with the bookmark title, level, and page and then insert it into the PDF after I generate it.

https://www.pdflabs.com/blog/export-and-import-pdf-bookmarks/

Additionally, FoxIt (free) PDF viewer allows you to create bookmarks using a UI.

• 1 month later...

Chiming in to agree. PDF bookmarks representing the various headings of my project are an absolute must for my use case. Adding them automatically in Publisher (based on TOC or paragraph styles or even anchors, though that would be more tedious) would be much easier than inserting them after the fact in another program.

Edited by Tegwyn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been several months and not a peep from what I can tell from Affinity. I am disappointed. Given the current situation I am still forced to use third party tools to finalize my projects. It adds substantial workload too as I do books with a lot of bookmarks in them. I wish I had saved my money and instead went for a year of ID :-/

2 hours ago, Chaosmeister said:

It's been several months and not a peep from what I can tell from Affinity. I am disappointed.

Generally Serif does not comment on Feature Requests. They read them, and factor them (and the user discussion that occurs) into their planning, but that is all that usually occurs.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Generally Serif does not comment on Feature Requests. They read them, and factor them (and the user discussion that occurs) into their planning, but that is all that usually occurs.

Thank you for letting me know. I was hoping there would be a blog post or road map or some indicator what they were working on. Mainly I am just frustrated because I had a workflow with PagePlus8 that worked and now I have to do manual extra work, time I'd rather spend creating things.

+1 for including a feature to generate PDF bookmarks in Affinity Publisher when producing a PDF version of your document.

I know the free  Foxit PDF Reader allows you to create/edit/delete book,arks in a PDF document,  but I haven;t had the opportunity to try it on a PDF generated by Affinity Publisher. It would be very desirable to do all the associated tasks with APub.

• 3 weeks later...

I also agree that adding bookmarks in exported pdfs is a crucial feature, as they make navigating longer more technical documents so much easier. All my many years working in InDesign with design specs and storyboards I've used bookmarks in 80% or so of the documents I've produced.

Preferably I'd like the bookmarks to be linked to styles, so they can be generated automatically based on for example section headers etc. But ideally there would also be a way to modify bookmarks (usually delete one or two) manually. Having to add all bookmarks manually would not be a great solution to me, but I guess still better than not having any bookmarks.

• 2 months later...