You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

CMYK values keep changing [newbie question]

I'm new to AD and currently running version 1.7 beta. So far I'm liking AD, coming from Adobe Illustrator I can find my way quite easily.

Working in print environment mostly I'm wondering why CMYK values keep changing when I change the color profile. I'm not used to this as in AI the CMYK values always stay the same in Illustrator. Is this the way AD works or am I missing something?

I have asked myself the same question -- ended up creating a whole colour swatch library twice because I noticed it to late (did the second go round with a generic CMYK profile).

Might be a case for the bug forum ... do you want to post it or should I?

• Staff

I believe AI assigns a colour profile, so the colour values remain, where as Affinity has both Assign and Convert available. Converting will adjust the colour values so the colour matches, assigning will keep the colour values as they are.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:25 AM, Jens Krebs said:

I have asked myself the same question -- ended up creating a whole colour swatch library twice because I noticed it to late (did the second go round with a generic CMYK profile).

Might be a case for the bug forum ... do you want to post it or should I?

As Lee D comments, have you tried this? Otherwise a bug / feature request would come in handy and I'd be glad to post it.

On 3/1/2019 at 3:14 PM, Lee D said:

I believe AI assigns a colour profile, so the colour values remain, where as Affinity has both Assign and Convert available. Converting will adjust the colour values so the colour matches, assigning will keep the colour values as they are.

How to set this up in AD so it keeps the values the same?

7 minutes ago, GregoriusX said:

How to set this up in AD so it keeps the values the same?

What action are you performing now that's making them change? 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

What action are you performing now that's making them change? 

Well it's not so much that I am changing color profiles constantly, I just want color values to stay the same whenever I need to change the color profile.

Now I needed to change the color profile from US or Euro Coated to FOGRA 39 and I noticed that the values changed. I don't want this to happen. When I import a logo in InDesign with changed color values it looks different as it has different CMYK values compared to other corporate identity colors / elements.

You can't make Assign the default. You just need to remember to use it if that's what you want to happen.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Since when do people remember these kind of software settings? This is asking for trouble and not something you want in a professional and busy print environment. If someone forgets to Assign and instead have AD Convert Colors (as this is the default setting), this can have huge impact on a print run and cause financial damage / losses. A lot of printers use their own color profiles for their offset print settings, certain kind of paper of inks. If I forget to select Assign instead of Convert my work is ruined.

Where can I fill in a bug / feature request form to at least make the setting stick in the Document Setup?