You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to separate shapes into layers (Designer)

Hi, I have an .eps file saved in another program. There are a number of shapes that are all "linked" (sorry, I don't know the terminology here) as if they were one shape. It's not a group, and they don't overlap. I'm wondering if there's an easy way to separate them, so they're each their own shape and on their own layer? I can't seem to find an easy way.

I think I can select each, and copy/paste it into it's own, but from what I can tell, I'd have to select all the nodes on each shape, on order to copy just it, since it can't be individually selected with the Move Tool.

Any help appreciated.

Hmmm... well I tried selecting all the nodes on one of the shapes, but if I cut it, it removes the whole layer, rather than just the part I want. What am I missing here. Surely there's a way to pull out non-overlapping parts of a shape?

Oh weird! The Divide button worked. I tried that before, but it filled in the middle of one shape. I assumed it wasn't working, but it was. Guess that works. Not very elegant. Seems like there should be a way to select just the parts (shapes within a shape?) that you want. But I guess that works to break them out.

• Staff

Hi Tevya!

It sounds as though the 'Divide' command may be the best here, but I can't be certain without seeing the .eps file in question. Could you upload it here please? :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)