You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No symbol panel in 1.7.0.249 (Mac)

1 hour ago, James Galpin said:

but it was a risky feature, particularly in conjunction with populated master pages.

Considering that files are meant to be bidirectionally compatible between Designer and Publisher, even if the Symbols panel is removed from Publisher, any "risky" nature of this will still need to be addressed for the situation where files are transported between the two applications.

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, lukejanicke said:

Oh dear. Came looking for how to apply new styles from Master Pages without replacing content on Pages. It looks like the Symbols Panel is gone completely. It shows up in Designer Persona, but not in Publisher Persona. Can anyone confirm?

Symbols are not part of the Publisher Persona, and never have been. They are only a feature of Designer and Publisher's Designer Persona.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Symbols are not part of the Publisher Persona, and never have been. 

Yes they were, back in the betas.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

23 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Yes they were, back in the betas.  

That doesn't count :)

The only official functions are those delivered with the first purchasable release; everything before that was experimentation.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That doesn't count :)

The only official functions are those delivered with the first purchasable release; everything before that was experimentation.

Which begs the question: why did Serif abandon that particular experiment?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just now, Alfred said:

Which begs the question: why did Serif abandon that particular experiment?

My initial guess was that it interacted poorly with Master Pages, which are implemented using the Symbol mechanisms.

However, that can't be completely correct given that the Designer Persona in Publisher still has them available. And given that Publisher can Open Designer files that use Symbols.

-- Walt
PC:

The help files are pretty clear now. Master Pages are meant for design elements that are common across pages, and not for designing template-like placeholders for controlling styles across different Pages’ content. They’re not like Master Slides in PowerPoint. I don’t have any experience with Adobe ID or other publishing applications (unless you count Word), but it definitely seems like the original intention was there.

• Staff

@lukejanicke

There are also plans to improve the action of reapplying master pages. This improvement should be appearing in affinity publisher beta shortly.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 hours ago, lukejanicke said:

Master Pages are meant for design elements that are common across pages, and not for designing template-like placeholders for controlling styles across different Pages’ content.

A Master Page can hold a Text Frame, and the Text Frame can specify some style information (font, size, character and/or paragraph styles) for the text you will insert into it on the actual document pages. It also can hold picture frames, with styling applied to those frames, ready for use on the document pages.

So in that sense, yes a Master Page helps provide a template for the document pages and specifies styles.

-- Walt
PC:

Yes. But for now it only works that way as an initialiser. You can’t change those style decisions and re-apply them across the document. Re-applying Master Pages to child Pages will reset the style AND content of text frames that are defined on the Master Page. I only lost 20 minutes of work before I discovered this the hard way, and I won’t make that mistake again.

Patrick, that’s great to hear. In the meantime, I think I can work with Master Pages and Text Styles to get the end product I want.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.