You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A problem with text flow in a pdf file

• 2 weeks later...

Jon, thanks again. I found it last night, a quickly gave it a try.

I think, and will look some more, that the problem I saw with the 248 beta indeed is either fixed (or I haven't triggered it) in the 257 beta. However, I still have some issues with text flow around the image, which lead me to think I may be doing something the software doesn't (maybe shouldn't or can't) support. But I'll try to characterize it further before I comment past that. Should I tack that onto this thread or open another one?

Thanks again!

• Staff

No harm in carrying on with this thread if it's related to text flow/wrapping. It might be easiest for you to attach the problematic file for me to look at and explain what's wrong (unless you have some reproducible steps for me to follow). Let me know if it's private as I can provide a dropbox link

Thanks!

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, took longer than I thought.

The text wrapping in beta 270 seems much improved; thanks to whoever does this work!

However (of course there's a however), I still have issues with, I think, overall text flow.

I have three questions (which may or may not prove my ignorance of what I'm trying to do). In each case, I have included a screenshot of the file that I provided to Publisher, and another of the output it produced once I moved my image to the location I wish (which is the only thing I want to do, BTW).

Question one: the text won't reflow to fill the line with the ugly wide inter-word spaces. I even tried taking a word out, thinking there weren't enough spaces, but no matter. How do I correct this?

Question two: you can see looking at the input version and the output, that I have to move the image lower on the page to get it in the correct place vis a vis the text. But then, I can't move the text and image back up to fill the wide gap. (Actually, this happens everywhere, but many places I can live with it. Or maybe not, see the next question.) So, can I move the text+image up, or conversely, move the text up to match the top of the image?

Question three: In this page, I got the image and text placed as I wanted, but the bottom of the text is pushed out of the correct bounding box instead of to the next page. This could be an artifact of the question just above, but isn't the text supposed to flow to the next page, keeping everything within the margins?

Question four: All these above were made with both the "favor editable text over vs fidelity" and the "group lines of text into text frames" boxes, ticked. When I untick the "group lines into text frames" box, the output shows that some of the text is written over other lines of text. Should I expect that?

Question five: Is there a way to drag the whole of one of my small images to move it? Now, I have to drag the bottom down, then drag the top to match, using the entry boxes to correct the image height (since I can't reliably use my touchpad to hit exactly 64 px in this case).

The images I speak of are in the zip file.

Thanks for helping out! I appreciate it.

Archive.zip

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.