You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thank you for the brilliant software! But...

For a brief summary i am a print (CMYK) and web (RGB) designer/developer. After some harsh price increases on Adobe CC products in Turkey (they doubled their prices) i had decided to leave Adobe for good. On the first day of my search for alternatives i've found Affinity suite. IMHO they are better than Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign in regards of intuitivity, feature dosage and community/official support. Affinity Designer is much much better for web development. 

But unfortunately my search for a dreamweaver alternative failed big time. I guess i've downloaded every app ever created and gave a shot. But nothing could come close to what i expect from a WYSIWYG development app. So as of today after 5 days of research i gave up and started a new CC account (They continue with their previous, relatively low price for new memberships, another reason not to like Adobe for me)

So please develop a WYSIWYG editor too :) after i saw what you guys are capable of, i have faith in Affinity universe. See you next year!

Evren

HibEvren,

there are lots of Dreamweaver alternatives on the market -- I have switched to doing most of my websites in Wordpress, but from my desktop days I have fond memories of the CoffeeCup software collection, an editor called BlueGriffon and a very easy to use package named Softpress Freeway as well as a software called Tumult HYPE for really cool HTML5 tricks -- I am sure there is an alternative for your requirements out there somewhere, just keep looking and give different things a try.

You haven't looked at Pinegrow + Atom or Visual Studio then. 

https://pinegrow.com

Pinegrow is a full WYSIWYG editor, with support for Bootstrap, Foundation, Google Materialize and regular html. Drag components into the view, create template components, live javascript testing in the view, multiple views of breakpoints, visual CSS editing... The list goes on and on.

And with the live connection with Atom or Visual Studio anything you edit in either the visual view in Pinegrow or the code editor both update in real-time without having to save.

Dreamweaver is quite limited, compared. Best of all: Pinegrow is quite inexpensive, and is a full license! No rental crap. Atom or Visual Studio (or both) are free.

https://atom.io/

3 minutes ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

You haven't looked at Pinegrow + Atom or Visual Studio then.

Hey MOB, i've looked at those as well (full list is below) But what i mainly need is a 2 sided development environment. When i select a tag within the code view, the design view sould be highlighted and vice versa. When i edit a text within the design view the code should be updated, auto paragraph, ul>li etc. Also ability to visualize not only HTML but .NET files (aspx, cs) as well. The closest i came up was brackets, but it fell short with HTML elements insert toolbars and aspx part. I guess years of DW dependency ossified my worflows beyond repair. 

Thx anyway for the tips.

Here are all the apps i've looked.

1. Pinegrow
  2. Brackets
  3. Atom
  4. MS Visual Studio
  5. Coda
  6. Aptana
  7. Kompozer
  8. RapidWeaver
  9. Flux
  10. Google Web Designer
  11. Sparkle
  12. CodeKit
  13. MS Visual Studio Code

With Atom and Pinegrow you do get the 2-sided workflow: select an item in the visual view, and Atom highlights the code part. Vice versa, in Atom place the cursor in an element, and hit CMD+ALT+P, and it highlights the element in Pinegrow.

Type in the code, and it updates the visual views in Pinegrow. Change something in Pinegrow, and the code updates in Atom.

Server-side PHP, ASP works as well, but must be activated in the library and component manager. The support is okayish for front-end work, but indeed needs more work.

Changing one's core workflow and tool pipeline is always a hassle, I agree.