You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export to pdf leaves boxes around transparent background text/images when printed

Hello,

New to these forums and am a novice AD user. I created a poster for an event and exported it as a PDF. The file looks okay on my screen and I didn't (knowingly) change any settings. When I sent it to the printer however, it came back with slightly different color boxes around the elements (text and placed .png images) that had transparent backgrounds. Like I said, I'm a novice user trying to learn as I go so I apologize if this is a rookie mistake.

I searched the forums and didn't find an answer.

I've attached the PDF as well as a photo of the end printed project.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Angela

PGP MORPH POSTER TEST 2.pdf

IMG_6889.jpg

4 hours ago, AngelaDesigns said:

I've attached the PDF as well as a photo of the end printed project.

Rather, an original *.afdesign file might be interesting.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I have experience operating a large printer.  If you send the pdf into it, which is composed of multiple objects with their own profiles (PNGs images coming with sRGB profiles)(Vector objects coming with CMYK profiles), the printer is going to apply different profiles to those items. Transparent effects sometimes get messed-up when RBG and CMYK objects interact, at least with CorelDRAW PDFs which I have plenty of experience with. 

To see whether the fault is somewhere with Affinity PDF exporting, or printer handling of the file, you should export the PDF with Rasterise everything turned on. Keep in mind that you will need to select one color profile.

I've run into this issue on a number of occasions and I believe it has something to do with grouped objects. Whether that has something to do with Affinity or not is another question. I am not sure if this is the correct workaround, but I usually just create a hi-res flattened file double the size of what needs to be printed but still using same width/height ratio. I couldn't understand why a designer I was working with once saved a 24" x 24" poster file with literal dimensions (file size was huge), and the issue described above is probably why. 

Thanks @Fantomasas! Knowing what I do about large printers (which isn't a ton except that I have the damnedest time getting the aquas and greens I want with CMYK) your explanation makes a lot of sense. I exported it as a .png and sent that as well; the boxes were gone but I got heavy pixelation in their place. I will try the Rasterize option during export but am wondering of this will affect image quality??

@NewInBoston, that's very interesting. The two main problem areas do contain grouped objects and the one text box that didn't seem to have an issue was not grouped. I'm wondering if ungrouping before export would remedy this?... Do you double the size to retain image quality when it's printed?

11 hours ago, AngelaDesigns said:

Thanks @Fantomasas! Knowing what I do about large printers (which isn't a ton except that I have the damnedest time getting the aquas and greens I want with CMYK) your explanation makes a lot of sense. I exported it as a .png and sent that as well; the boxes were gone but I got heavy pixelation in their place. I will try the Rasterize option during export but am wondering of this will affect image quality??

@NewInBoston, that's very interesting. The two main problem areas do contain grouped objects and the one text box that didn't seem to have an issue was not grouped. I'm wondering if ungrouping before export would remedy this?... Do you double the size to retain image quality when it's printed?

You will want at least:

300+ DPI for leaflets and small posters (A6-A4)

200+ DPI for (A3-A1)

100+ DPI for large format prints

You should definitely upload the AD design file.

The printer software rasterizes your file when sending the data to the actual printer. There shouldn't be any noticable difference between rasterizing with AD compared to the printer as long as you don't reduce the DPI with the AD.

Keep in mind that PNG doesn't support CMYK colors. It is okay for the designs which are made from images, but it will convert CMYK colors if there are any in the project. If you know what kind of printer profile the printer uses, you can add a soft proof adjustment layer to the scene to see how the color might change.

This is a very useful post. I have also a printer and I have faced too many problems from my printer. whenever I use my printer it shows epson error code 0xe5 problem which is very annoying and I am tired to solve this problem. so I want a proper solution for this problems because this problem takes too time to solve this problem so I want the right solution.