You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Access to paid for Affinity Mac programs not possible?

Apart from my Windows PC's which run Affinity Photo and Designer full versions!!, I also own an iMac 20" which runs Affinity Photo and Designer full versions, an iPad Air which runs the Affinity Photo and Designer full versions.

My problem is that I also own a MacBook Pro with 16 gig of ram a 256 gig ssd running Mojave ..... The above iMac uses the Apple store to supply my paid for Affinity products, but my MacBook Pro has a different  e-mail and password for the Apple store, so I cannot download Affinity products to the MacBook?

Is there a way around this problem please?

This is why I prefer Windows Affinity store, because I can download the physical Affinity programs for Windows from there!

Can’t you simply sign out of the MAS and then sign back in again using the email address associated with the account that you used to purchase the apps? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

How very odd, William! The usual advice is to make sure you sign in with the Apple ID that you used when purchasing the app(s).

I’ll leave it to a Mac owner to point you in the right direction.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff

Hi William,

As @Alfred has said 'The usual advice is to make sure you sign in with the Apple ID that you used when purchasing the app.'

Can't say i've seen it before where a Mac is locked to using just 1 App Store Account, i've owned several Mac devices and change between accounts i have without issue. On your Macbook you should be able to sign out of the App Store and sign in again using the Apple ID for your iMac and you'll be able to redownload Affinity from the app store.  If that isn't working, i'd suggest contacting Apple as you should be able to switch App Store accounts without issue.

I will change my password on my iMac account, as it seems the password is not accepted on the MacBook. If that solves the problem I will let you know?

Why can't we have a simple download of our owned Mac programs, the Affinity store could support a Mac section and it would make life easier?

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Willabong said:

Why can't we have a simple download of our owned Mac programs, the Affinity store could support a Mac section and it would make life easier?

You can purchase the Mac version from our site.  That hasn't always been the case and is a recent change we made to the store. 

Good to know stokerg, but I don't want to purchase, I want to download "paid for" versions!

Anyway, I changed my password for the App store on my iMac, then was able to use this new password on my MacBook Pro to access the App store ..... But Was unable to access my App purchases and was told I have not made any purchases yet!  So I went back to my iMac and found that I had lost my purchases on the iMac as well.

So I am now locked out of my purchase page on the App Store, and cannot download Designer or Photo which I have paid for!

@Willabong, changing passwords won't help if you sign in with a different Apple ID than the one you used to purchase the Affinity (or any other) app from the Mac App Store ("MAS" for short).

All MAS purchases are tied to the Apple ID used when they are purchased, regardless of which Mac was used to make the purchase. Each Apple ID has its own password, so if you have created more than one Apple ID, you (probably) have different passwords for each of them.

Either way, you need to sign into the MAS using the Apple ID you used to purchase the Affinity app. That may require signing out (the last item in the App Store > "Store" menu) & signing back in with the appropriate Apple ID & password.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 minutes ago, Willabong said:

Any help from Serif would be appreciated?

I doubt they can do anything. Have you tried contacting Apple?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Willabong said:

That is my next step Walt, I let you all know what they say?

Thanks. Though, everything I've read says that @R C-R's suggestions should work.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

32 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Though, everything I've read says that @R C-R's suggestions should work.

The important part is using the correct Apple ID when signing into the App Store application on whatever Mac does not have the Affinity apps installed on it. I believe that is the MacBook Pro. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The problem with that is every time you log out of the App store, and then re-open it, you are automatically logged back into the App store, so I neverr get the chance to change the log in details?

If you know a way around this please enlighten me?

Login into the Mac is not the problem, it is login into the App store when the Mac is running! Do you know if disabling the startup login also disables the App store login (which is what I need?). I suppose I can try it and find out, but if you know the answer it would be easier (cause I'm lazy).

How are you logging out of the Mac App Store?

If you follow these procedures you should be logged out and then be able to login with a different identity.

https://appsliced.co/ask/how-do-i-sign-out-of-the-os-x-app-store

-- Walt
PC:

I've just created an Apple ID, logged out of the App Store: Store > Sign Out with my main one and logged in: Store > Sign In with the one I've just created and downloaded Flappy Golf 2 which I am now slowly getting addicted too lol! Oh and I logged out of the new Apple ID and am now logged back in to the apple store with my main Apple ID.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, Willabong said:

Login into the Mac is not the problem, it is login into the App store when the Mac is running!

Oh, OK, my mistake! I failed to notice that both of those articles are about logging in to the Mac, not about logging in to the MAS!! :$

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Willabong said:

The problem with that is every time you log out of the App store, and then re-open it, you are automatically logged back into the App store, so I neverr get the chance to change the log in details?

If you know a way around this please enlighten me?

I mentioned how to do that in this earlier post:

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

Either way, you need to sign into the MAS using the Apple ID you used to purchase the Affinity app. That may require signing out (the last item in the App Store > "Store" menu) & signing back in with the appropriate Apple ID & password.

Affinity Photo 

You have all been brilliant and I appreciate your help!  But the original problem was that I could not sign into my MacBook Pro, so I changed the password to enable me to sign in, and that is where the problems started!

So I looked up my old e-mail and password and tried to log into the iMac using that ... But no luck, I can log out and in again thanks to your help, but the iMac will not recognise my old login details?

I was wondering if I could make a new account with my old details, and still keep the one I am using now? If I read "firstdefence" correctly I can do that? 

• Staff

Hi Willabong,
I don't advise create yet another Apple ID/account. Please contact the Apple Support directly to solve the issues with your current/old Apple ID.
They should also advise/guide you regarding the access to the purchases you have made with the original Apple ID you had so you can install the Affinity apps (and all the others) you have purchased.

3 minutes ago, Willabong said:

But the original problem was that I could not sign into my MacBook Pro, so I changed the password to enable me to sign in, and that is where the problems started!

To be clear about this, after you changed the password, could you then sign into the App Store on the MBP? If so, do you see your Affinity app purchases listed in the "Purchased" tab? If not, what do you see when you click the "Purchased" tab? 

Affinity Photo