You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copying and positioning text frames

I have created a text frame and filled it.  I now wish to duplicate that frame several times and position each frame accurately on the same page but can find nothing at the moment in the tutorials or forum which answers this.  Also, very simple one, how do I select a frame to post it as an asset and if I do so does it also contain the text already within it when added?

Edited by Actomox
minor typographical errors

Select the frame and copy/paste, or use the move tool and hold down the command key (Mac - not sure of the Windows key) while dragging it into its new position, to make a copy.

To accurately position the copy, with it selected, either have a guide in place to snap the copy to while dragging it, or enter the positions/sizes in the Transform panel.

I believe the text would be included when creating an asset from a text frame.  To make an asset, just select it and either drag it into the assets panel (at least on the Mac - I am told this does not work under Windows) or select "Add from Selection" in the hamburger menu of the subcategory in the assets panel - an example of working with this is here:

fde 101 beat me to it.   Another way to position things. Select something you want to position relative to. Then select what you want to position, as you drag it around you will see green lines showing what things are aligned to.

In the case of text you get 

• left edge of box
  • left edge of text in that box
  • center of box
  • right edge of box

This works for pretty much anything. Horizontal lines will show as a red line