You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tables - Weird Column/Row Functionality

Windows 10 Home 1809, Publisher 1.7.0.249.

Apologies for the non-specific title of the post but I couldn't think of anything more precise that covers everything.

Have a look at the attached GIF and you will see:
* The row headers are not aligned with the rows;
* The later row headers are 'greyed out' when the row is not selected;
* The later row headers don't have the 'context arrow' for the drop-down menu;
* The column headers are not aligned with the columns;
* The column header dividers, when dragged, do some very strange things.
(Apologies for some of the mistaken mouse movements, it's sometimes very difficult to get the cursor exactly where you want to get the correct pointer. Also, ignore the shear, I didn't mean to do that - difficulty getting the correct pointer.)

I've attached the document for testing.

weird-table-stuff.gif

weird-table-stuff.afpub

I've just had a similar issue. I simply resized the column and same thing happened. (Macosx)

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Pauls, the problem occurred while I was making a lot of edits to a table so I can't really say what happened to get me to the point where it went wrong. Things were fine until they just weren't.
I was using Publisher on a 100%-scale display.
If I add a new table to a brand new document - even if the problem document is also in memory - then I don't initially see any problems, but if I add a new table to the document that already has the problem then the same problem is also evident in the new table.
It seems like once a document is 'afflicted' with the problem, all new tables in that document are also 'infected'.
Sorry I can't be more precise about how it happened, it was just a case of "Try this, experiment with that, have a go at this other thing, oh, hang on, when did that happen?"

The Table is on a Layer.  What happens if you move the table out of the Layer (refresh the screen) or create other Tables not in that Layer or create a Table on a newly created Layer 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

carl123, I've just moved the table out of the "Table" layer - didn't know it was in another layer but I must have done that - and the table looks like it's working normally now.
I tried the same with the original document I had the problem with - three separate tables - and that 'fix' works there too.
Moving the tables back into their original layers makes the problem come back, but if I then move the tables to brand new layers the original problem isn't there, until I start resizing the containing layer.

Pauls, I've been able to re-create the problem and have saved the history in the attached document.
Basically all I did was:
* create a new document;
* create a new table;
* create a new layer;
* put the table in the layer;
* resize the layer a few times.

weird-table-stuff-2.afpub

When you add a Table to a Layer the sizes are linked, resizing the Table layer works corectly but resizing just the Layer causes distortion of the Table contained within it.

You can have Tables on Layers but just remember to resize the Table rather than the Layer.

I cant see this as being "as designed" so probably a bug

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I thought I might be able to get away with grouping the table with its background layer - rather than the background layer containing the table -  but I get the same problems after resizing the group.
I'll probably stick to having the tables as separate layers until this is fixed. What I need to do isn't very complex so doing it as simply as possible will work for me in this case.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.