You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Applying the default profile - or not

I use VueScan to scan lots of black-and-white images. Within VueScan, I set the input as B/W and the output to 1-bit Tiff. After saving the image, it automatically opens in Affinity Photo with the message that the default profile is automatically being applied.

Profile.png.d00c6a2e452228668cd7ea43ad2988f3.png

This means I get an 8-bit RGB image. Now I know that Affinity does not (yet?) support 1-bit images, but it is annoying to have to set the image to Greyscale every time. I tried to look up this Colour Profiling, but it seems that it is a global setup that will affect any unprofiled images that it loads. VueScan says that the saved tiff file will be 'profiled' whatever that means.

I find that Corel Photo-Paint does not do this. It loads the tiff as a 1-bit image.

Is it possible to prevent this happening? If I am about to scan a batch of black-and-white images, would it be possible to prevent this default profile being applied?

I  posted a similar query to VueScan support and got the following reply from Ed Hamrick: 

Profiles only work for scans that are in color.  They don't
make any sense for 1 bit per pixel, so I don't store a profile.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

From Ed's answer it sounds like you could scan as 8-bit grayscale rather than 1-bit and VueScan would save the profile.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

From Ed's answer it sounds like you could scan as 8-bit grayscale rather than 1-bit and VueScan would save the profile.

@walt.farrell, that worked OK. However AP still tells me it is assigning  its own profile. (The box disappeared before I could see which profile.) So it would appear that:

• Setting VueScan to 8-bit greyscale results in an 8-bit greyscale file in AP. OK there.
  • Setting VueScan to 1-bit B/W results in an 8-bit RGB file in AP. 

Seems that is something I will have to live with.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

8 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

However AP still tells me it is assigning  its own profile. (The box disappeared before I could see which profile.)

It should usually show you on top left (after the dimensions entry), when set to the view (hand) tool.

which_profile.jpg.88c3d3ebd7fa0914a7209e477049a3cc.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

You might examine the 8-bit file that VueScan produced to see if it has a profile or not. Exiftool should be able to tell you take.

Or if you attach a file here others can check for you.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

You might examine the 8-bit file that VueScan produced to see if it has a profile or not. Exiftool should be able to tell you take.

Or if you attach a file here others can check for you.

This is no longer anything that I am pursuing. Thanks to @walt.farrell's suggestion, the matter is now resolved.

Anyway, thanks for the offer.

John