I use VueScan to scan lots of black-and-white images. Within VueScan, I set the input as B/W and the output to 1-bit Tiff. After saving the image, it automatically opens in Affinity Photo with the message that the default profile is automatically being applied.

Profile.png.d00c6a2e452228668cd7ea43ad2988f3.png

This means I get an 8-bit RGB image. Now I know that Affinity does not (yet?) support 1-bit images, but it is annoying to have to set the image to Greyscale every time. I tried to look up this Colour Profiling, but it seems that it is a global setup that will affect any unprofiled images that it loads. VueScan says that the saved tiff file will be 'profiled' whatever that means.

I find that Corel Photo-Paint does not do this. It loads the tiff as a 1-bit image.

Is it possible to prevent this happening? If I am about to scan a batch of black-and-white images, would it be possible to prevent this default profile being applied?

I  posted a similar query to VueScan support and got the following reply from Ed Hamrick: 

Profiles only work for scans that are in color.  They don't
make any sense for 1 bit per pixel, so I don't store a profile.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

From Ed's answer it sounds like you could scan as 8-bit grayscale rather than 1-bit and VueScan would save the profile.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

From Ed's answer it sounds like you could scan as 8-bit grayscale rather than 1-bit and VueScan would save the profile.

@walt.farrell, that worked OK. However AP still tells me it is assigning  its own profile. (The box disappeared before I could see which profile.) So it would appear that:

• Setting VueScan to 8-bit greyscale results in an 8-bit greyscale file in AP. OK there.
  • Setting VueScan to 1-bit B/W results in an 8-bit RGB file in AP. 

Seems that is something I will have to live with.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

8 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

However AP still tells me it is assigning  its own profile. (The box disappeared before I could see which profile.)

It should usually show you on top left (after the dimensions entry), when set to the view (hand) tool.

which_profile.jpg.88c3d3ebd7fa0914a7209e477049a3cc.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.1 ◆ OSX El Capitan

You might examine the 8-bit file that VueScan produced to see if it has a profile or not. Exiftool should be able to tell you take.

Or if you attach a file here others can check for you.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

Just now, walt.farrell said:

You might examine the 8-bit file that VueScan produced to see if it has a profile or not. Exiftool should be able to tell you take.

Or if you attach a file here others can check for you.

This is no longer anything that I am pursuing. Thanks to @walt.farrell's suggestion, the matter is now resolved.

Anyway, thanks for the offer.

John