You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I hope I'm doing something wrong - using pdf file

I have a 250-260 page book in pdf (or other formats) made in Scrivener.

I'd like to embellish the version I send for POD, and would like to use APub for that. Certainly, the first experiences I've had with it are positive.

Until I resized an image and flowed the text around it. Apparently APub tacks a pilcrow on the end of every line as it imports the pdf, so of course the text won't reflow properly. I verified this by editing the text to remove the unwanted pilcrows, and the reflowing seems to work as I expected. However, the line spacing changes. That's a minor problem compared to the necessity of doing this to a 100kword ms with something like 4500 paragraphs.

What should I have done to import the pdf so that I can make suitable changes?

Thanks!

I appreciate the speedy response!

Doing that does get rid of the pilcrow after each line, thanks!

Unfortunately, when I insert the image, text wrap won't wrap with the first line. I can place the image above the paragraph, or below the first line (where it does wrap very nicely, thank you), but not with the top of the image aligned with the top of the text int he first line.

Is this part of the wrapping issues I did find in looking through the forum? Or have I made another newby error? See the two screenshots. The image jumps from on to the other, but not aligned as I wish.

Thanks for your help!

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 10.23.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 10.23.10 AM.png

47 minutes ago, tonyl said:

See the two screenshots.

Both of those pictures look fine to me - which one is not what you are expecting, and how do you have the text wrap settings configured for the frame?

EDIT: the first picture looks like the frame is set to wrap using the "Jump" setting or has a very large right distance from text; the second one appears to be set to wrap using the "Tight" setting with no distance from the text - but that may indeed be related to the reported wrapping issues?

EDIT 2: also, for awareness, the red dot on the frame border means that not all of the text fits in the frame - you have text overflowing at the bottom.

Thanks for the response, fde! Appreciated, especially when the problem's probably with me.

The attached s/s, from a different software package, is my goal.

The second s/s is the Wrap Text box, which *I* didn't change between my two original images. All I did between them was drag the image up or down to try and get the alignment I wanted.

Thanks for the head's up on the red dot; I hadn't gotten to that problem yet, and on the full-page view, I can see where the overflow is. But first things first.

Thanks again!

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 12.13.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 12.11.59 PM.png

Those settings look right to me.

I would think at this point this is likely related to the bug that has been reported, but someone from Serif might need to confirm, and this might not be known yet.

You might want to make a post about this one in the bug forum instead of leaving it here as it does appear to be a bug and it is more likely to be discovered and dealt with there.

I don't think we as normal users can move or cross-post content directly; probably the best thing to do would be to create a new thread in the relevant bug forum for the platform you are on - which from your screenshot appears to be the Mac so that would be here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/57-report-bugs-in-publisher-beta-on-mac/

If you copy a link to this thread you can then paste it into that one to refer back to this to provide the context of the new thread, with a short description of what they are looking at.