You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I don't think the devs read this forum

• Staff

some do dome don't, it's not their job to read this (Affinity on Desktop Questions) forum.

The Tech Support team (that I manage) read this specific forum, Each and Every post. When a thread has not been responded to correctly by the forum regulars, they will then normally participate in the thread.When something important (so not just a misunderstanding ) is reported the Tech team investigate.  If the problem has already been reported to the developers, the thread creator should be told that, and the thread is added to the existing developer report. When there is a new problem discovered the Tech support team report the issues into the developers database. When the tech team investigate and cannot reproduce a customer issue, members of the QA team (that I manage) will also investigate. When that results in us replicating the problem, they report the issues into the developers database. When there is clearly a problem that even the QA team cannot reproduce, we contact the developers direcly and ask them to read a thread and report back TO US what they think may be going on. We will then ask for more info till we get to the bottom of the problem if possible.

Thats the normal process. HOWEVER Developers are a keen bunch and sometimes just browse the forum and post in here direcly, because they care about the customer experience and are enthusiastic about the software.

Developers spend more time in the beta forums here, for obvious reasons as that is where the fixes to the problems reported here play out and are checked. After a major release they also spend a bit more time in the "Bugs in ..." forums to see what external and internal testing missed.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

And I can add that, spending a lot of time in this forum too, I saw answers from a lot of you every day of the week, until late! (I'm in France, it's the same hours, easy to notice).
And a lot of activity and watch of bugs each time there's a new version of one of the apps. Answers and videos of new or next features, etc.

Congratulations to the teams, since there was times (and there will be more, for sure) when it seems impossible to read ALL the post.

• Staff

To be fair to the OP, the Devs do not tend to reply to many (almost none) of the suggestions threads. To do so would look like favouritism to one of the very very many suggestions that would lead to "you replied to that one, why don't you respond to mine?" Not replying to suggestions does not mean that they are not read.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

FWIW, years ago, I was working w. an early desktop ray tracing app. After a few years on the mail list, and having a couple of small articles published, I was finally allowed to ask some questions to the guy writing the code via an intermediary. 

So to me, having a dev show up in a user forum is quite delightful, however infrequent.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet