You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, i am not sure if this is a bug or a misunderstood feature, but;

1. I made a symbol, 
  2. Used the symbol inside an asset
  3. Using the same asset, i've made changes and created a new asset.
  4. Now when i drag this asset on the file, symbol duplicates by itself in the assets panel.

Attached you may find a screecast. Is this a bug or am i missing something? 

Thx in advance.

7 minutes ago, Evren said:

Now when i drag this asset on the file, symbol duplicates by itself in the assets panel.

AFAI can see the symbol is duplicated in the symbols panel. - I assume here that when an asset is created on the canvas, that it also then creates a new symbol since the asset contains an embedded symbol. Though I can't tell if that is as designed or more an unwanted creation side effect in this case.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Just tried this on on my Mac it doesn't do anything, I can change the symbol within the assets.

I have one donut which is the symbol, I created a square and placed that behind the symbol, then grouped both the square and symbol and made the first asset, I dragged that asset onto the workspace, changed the colour of the square and made a second asset, dragged the second asset onto the workspace and edited the symbol colour.

So, I have one symbol (donut) and two assets with the donut symbol and differently coloured squares. I can't see the issue  The symbols popped up in the symbols panel, seems there was a delay.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi Evren :)

Thanks for your report and screen recording. This is a known bug when using Symbols and Assets and is logged with our developers to be fixed. I'll update this log with your thread now, hopefully it will be fixed asap.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 3 years later...

This looks like the same problem I'm experiencing in version 1.10.5.1342 over three years later. Either it hasn't been fixed for the way I'm triggering it or re-broken... or of course I may just not understand how this works. I'm not expecting symbols to maintain a link across all documents that utilize the asset, although I can understand how some scenarios might find that to be a benefit, just not what I'm talking about. If I pull in an asset that has multiple instances of a symbol defined in the asset, I am expecting to be able to make changes to the symbol for my current document and have those changes shared across all of the instances of the symbol that came from the asset. Is there any workaround available short of deleting all but one of the excess symbols and going through the work to reiterate that one into the other locations where it was used?

• Staff

Hi @LuvMyDesignTools,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I can confirm I have tested this internally using the original 'recipe' that was used to report this bug to our developers and this worked as expected for me - so it's possible you may have come across a new issue.

Can you please expand on your exact layer setup with your symbols/asset?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Sure, Dan, I appreciate you looking into this... Not sure specifically what I might be doing differently than the original scenario, but here's what I'm working with:

• Original design file content that is saved as an asset contains (as a group so it could be saved as a single asset):
    • one closed shape that was created by joining a bunch of curves, confirmed closed by filling with a color, saved as a symbol
    • an artboard containing four iterations of that symbol which were grouped together; the group was then pulled out of the artboard (which was deleted before saving the asset) to group together with the symbol
  • When I pull the asset into a new file I get the grouped asset containing:
    • The symbol hierarchy in a layer containing the symbol itself. The hierarchy level is marked on the left by the transition red line, the symbol itself is marked on the left by the solid red line. (see the expansion in the second of the two screen shots below)
    • At the equivalent level in the layers, the group containing the four iterations of the symbol itself. Each of the four iterations within the group looks just like the above, with a symbol hierarchy layer marked by the transition red line expanded to include a symbol layer itself marked by the solid red line. (see the expansion in the second of the two screen shots below)
    • In the symbol panel, five separate symbols come in (see the first of the two screen shots below). As you can see sync is enabled, but they are five independent symbols, once the asset is pulled in, that are not synced together anymore.

Let me know if there's additional information I can provide to help debug... Thanks, Karen

image.png.e19b9e80e78671cb2e02df49bda71871.pngimage.png.292a79b0ba3e24aa06340a8aecbe6ab8.png

• Staff

Many thanks for confirming that for me and for the information provided!

I've been able to replicate this issue from your report and I'm getting it logged with our developers now - I hope this helps :)

10 hours ago, Dan C said:

Many thanks for confirming that for me and for the information provided!

I've been able to replicate this issue from your report and I'm getting it logged with our developers now - I hope this helps :)

Yay - glad it's supposed to work the way I thought. Probably won't get fixed in time for current project, but fortunately my workload to manually do it isn't that terrible for this example. Was just holding off getting started in case I was doing something wrong. Thanks for verifying and getting back to me.