You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making Several Overlapping Shapes into One, then adding Stroke?

I'm doing a logo design right now, which includes a few shapes with stroke outlines on them.  I'm having trouble converting the entire mess into a single shape, to duplicate and stick behind the original so I can add a stroke outline to the outer edge of the entire design.

As soon as I try to select all of the layers, the Geometry options disappear.

I thought this was a problem because I didn't expand all of the strokes into shapes, so I tried that, but the Geometry options still didn't turn up.  

Is there a step I'm missing that might help me get my group of shapes mashed into one large shape I can stick an outline around the back of?  I apologize if this was covered elsewhere, I didn't see it while searching the topics.

Thanks!!!

Hi Patchwork,

you were talking about a "group" of shapes … Please be aware, that you can’t apply Boolean operations to groups. You have to ungroup your items to apply these operations. (To be sure, you can apply Boolean operations to items inside a group, as long as they are not groups themselves …).

Cheers,

Alex  :)

Ungroup.mov