You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wish list for Designer

Here is a list of things that would improve Designer

1. Text on a path

2. Select and find similar colors in fills and strokes

3. Ability to import native files into Quark and InDesign (instead of needing to create a separate file)

4. Ability to trace an image

5. Import AI files and retain layers and grouped objects

Thanks!

10 hours ago, George3 said:

1. Text on a path

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Text/pathText.html

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 3 years later...
On 2/27/2019 at 9:12 AM, George3 said:

5. Import AI files and retain layers and grouped objects

I would like to see improved AI import as well.  As far as I know, Designer still only imports from the PDF stream and loses things such as objects outside the page/artboard and so on.  In my own tests, other than Illustrator, only CorelDraw and VectorStyler seem to be able to open .ai files and capture everything.  (As a note here, I use Illustrator CS3 so I haven't tested .ai files made with Illustrator CS4 and later.)

Granted, Affinity Designer plus VectorStyler is still less expensive than a subscription to you-know-who, but if I could do things in just one illustration program, that would certainly be preferable.

On 2/27/2019 at 9:12 AM, George3 said:

2. Select and find similar colors in fills and strokes

You can select objects that have the same (not similar) fill or stroke color as another object. I'm not sure if that's what you mean.

https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/pages/ObjectControl/select.html

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 6/30/2022 at 4:01 PM, dcr said:

Granted, Affinity Designer plus VectorStyler is still less expensive than a subscription to you-know-who, but if I could do things in just one illustration program, that would certainly be preferable.

I can understand your thought and agree it would be nice if one program could handle everything we need and not be a subscription as well. Everyone had their own definition of what they need and every program has a niche they are trying to fill. Even when I used illustrator, and still now when I use primarily vectorstyler and some affinity, I purchased programs dedicated to a specific task. I have vectoraster and patternodes to make halftones and patterns, respectively. I also bought vector magic to do vector tracing. 

Back in the day I owned both adobe and Macromedia suites and used them as I felt it best suited my workflow.

Affinity designer has some benefits and suites a certain workflow, but I suspect they will never catch up to the capabilities of Vectorstyler and I also do not believe it's their goal to do so. As you mentioned, thankfully both affinity and vectorstyler are so cheap and together they can provide a solution to cut the cord on adobe if you're primarily a vector designer