You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

BUG: Exported PDF are rasterising a bunch of basic properties

Hi,

I just discovered that a lot of my recently exported PDFs were rasterised on the last Beta.

More precisely: every gradients or masks present on my file will be converted as images once PDF exported (whatever the PDF export setting).

The current stable version is however behaving perfectly as expected, producing vector based PDFs.

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

• Staff

Hi Tazintosh,

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce this - looking at your file I've recreated it in 1.6 which I've then opened in 1.7. Using the same export presets in both 1.6 and 1.7 and then importing into Designer 1.7 shows the same objects being rasterised. I would expect objects with Filter Effects to be rasterised as these are not supported in PDF. Have you tried using the transparency tool to apply the transparencies on the objects rather than as a 0% Opacity gradient node?

See attached PDFs I've exported and also the AFDesign file.

GradientsPDF_X4_17.pdf

GradientsPDF_X4_16.pdf

GradientsPDF_ForPrint_17.pdf

GradientsPDF_ForPrint_16.pdf

GradientsPDF_ForExport_17.pdf

GradientsPDF_ForExport_16.pdf

GradientsPDF.afdesign

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2019 at 11:40 AM, Sean P said:

I would expect objects with Filter Effects to be rasterised as these are not supported in PDF. Have you tried using the transparency tool to apply the transparencies on the objects rather than as a 0% Opacity gradient node?

Hi Sean, sorry for the delay.

If you we focus on the top right rectangle, you'll notice it has —no— filter effect. Still it's rasterised while it's a simple gradient with a transparent color.

BTW, transparency tool produce exactly the same non expected result: a rasterised layer. Sketch however is behaving as expected for such a standard need.

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2019 at 11:51 AM, Tazintosh said:

If you we focus on the top right rectangle, you'll notice it has —no— filter effect. Still it's rasterised while it's a simple gradient with a transparent color.

For me it becomes a shaded rectangle, drawn with a soft mask that is a transparency group that is also a shaded rectangle. If I hide the other objects, there are no bitmaps or raster elements in the PDF; it's entirely vector. This requires a PDF format that supports transparencies (so not PDF/X-1a or PDF/X-3), and also needs Allow advanced features checked in the PDF options (this is off by default for PDF for Export and PDF For Web presets). The File > Export > PDF panel will have (Nothing will be rasterised) next to the Raster DPI field when the settings are correct. Here is the PDF: 1.pdf.

However, if I then reimport the PDF into Affinity, the transparency group is rasterised during the import. This is because PDF transparency groups are more general than what Affinity can support, and it's not yet clever enough to recognise the simple case of a gradient that it produced itself.

I get similar results from Designer 1.6.1.

Hi Dave,

Checking "Allow advanced features" did "solved" the issue, but I never had this need before.
This is curious, either the export behaviour has changed, either I never exported gradient alpha before (would be surprising), either I never paid attention till then (oO)

I'll pay much more attention now.

Question, how did you checked back your PDF to assume that nothing was rasterised if "the transparency group is rasterised during the import" ?

58 minutes ago, Tazintosh said:

Question, how did you checked back your PDF to assume that nothing was rasterised if "the transparency group is rasterised during the import" ?

I have a tool that explores a PDF at low level, without drawing it, to see the operations it would draw with.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.