You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placing locked PDF not working / crashing

It is impossible to place a locked file in Publisher. There are two results what happens if you try.

Result 1: Place the file directly -> Nothing happens
Result 2: Make a picture frame and place the file -> Publisher instantly crashes

I think Publisher tries to convert the file to editable content and fails with the above results.

lockedpdf.pdf

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I can confirm this behavior.

A work around, If you need to do this, is to open the file in Foxit Reader (possibly other PDF readers, but not Adobe) then print to a virtual PDF printer, such as Primo. That will remove the encryption!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

My idea placing a locked PDF had some other motivation. I thought maybe eventually perhaps Publisher would not touch/convert the PDF and place it as a container.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 1 month later...

The bug is (partly) solved. There is no crash, but the PDF is not going to be placed because the file is using a non-supported encryption. The file in this thread is password protected with 128-Bit AES encryption. In Indesign a prompt pops up where you have to type in the password.

Added: 256-Bit AES encryption get you the message: The file could not be parsed.

Edited by Joachim_L
Added information

------

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.