You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Page Preset doesn't always reflect the given Page Width/Height

Windows 10 Home 1809, Publisher 1.7.0.249.

Have a look at the attached GIF where:
* I create a new document - custom-sized at 2x3 inches (purely for demonstration purposes);
* Page Preset says "Custom", as expected;
* I close that document;
* I go to create a new document;
* Page Preset now says "A4" but the size is still 2x3 inches;
* I re-select A4 from the Page Presets but the size is still 2x3 inches;
* I select a different Document Units but the size is still the equivalent of 2x3 inches;
* To get what I want, I have to select a different Page Preset, then select the Page Preset that I actually want, and then re-select the Document Units that I want.

I don't think this is working the way it should be.
If the Page Preset says A4 then I should be able to assume that the page size is whatever A4 is in whatever the Units is set to. I shouldn't need to check that the Width and Height are correct for the preset. (This would be especially difficult to spot if the page size was close to - but not exactly the same as - the preset size.) In other words, if the page size is not exactly equivalent to an existing preset then the preset should be "Custom".

I only found this issue after I thought the Zoom function wasn't working when I zoomed a recently-made - apparently A4-sized - document to 100% and found it was way smaller than it should be. (A 2x3 inches document zoomed-to-fit looks exactly the same on-screen as a 8x12 inches document zoomed-to-fit.) When I created the document I noticed that the Preset said A4 - so I assumed that was correct - but the page size was actually 5.8x7.9 inches (from a previous document).

This isn't a huge problem while the software is still in beta - we're not supposed to be creating "real" document with it - but I would say it could be a really big issue if someone creates a magazine or a book only to find out, at the very end, that they've done it all on wrongly-sized pages. (Imagine creating a 100-page magazine and only finding out at the print shop that you've used a 230mm page width instead of the 210mm you needed.)

page-presets2.gif

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.