You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Confuser: File/Place offering text files only

Confused me for a bit, this one.  Did File/Place and it offered ony .txt and .rtf files. Then I found the cursor was in a text box. Kind of makes sense, but can't find where Help system mentions this.

image.png

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

That was a recent change, I think, so perhaps it hasn't made it into the Help files yet.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 years later...

Just been puzzled for quite a few minutes with the same, or similar issue ... I opened up an afphoto file with multiple layers for editing and wanted to place another image in there... but it kept showing only text files available to place... very bizarre I thought.. so I came here and found this thread.

It's not identical to the OP's issue as I didn't actually have any layers turned on as visible, but on one of the groups I expanded I clicked and selected a text file, not knowing that this restricts placing file types to text files... Wondering why this is? Is it because the program thinks it's being helpful in limiting my options to place only text files? I can kind of understand if this is the case, but it's frustrating and hindering also, if I am restricted to the file type of the layer selected when placing files?

I hope this makes sense and would appreciate some comments on if others think this is useful and 'user friendly' or ... just frustrating and overly restrictive.

On a slightly different note, I've often found that I've somehow changed the file types I'm searching for to place into an image, without having any idea what I've clicked or how I've done it. It's almost always the .txt file type (but in this instance I can actually change the file type to be whatever I choose)... anyone enlighten me?

38 minutes ago, Ian R said:

Wondering why this is? Is it because the program thinks it's being helpful in limiting my options to place only text files?

Yes. If you have a text object selected, it assumes you want to work with text files.

39 minutes ago, Ian R said:

On a slightly different note, I've often found that I've somehow changed the file types I'm searching for to place into an image, without having any idea what I've clicked or how I've done it. It's almost always the .txt file type (but in this instance I can actually change the file type to be whatever I choose)... anyone enlighten me?

I don't think I understand that question. In order to answer I would probably need to know your OS, and have some screenshots illustrating what you're asking about.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 10/28/2021 at 5:38 PM, walt.farrell said:

I don't think I understand that question. In order to answer I would probably need to know your OS, and have some screenshots illustrating what you're asking about.

reading back it looks like the same issue of having a text layer selected which chooses/limits the text file type in the lower right. However on these different occasions I can change the file type to something different (All Documents I choose to have by default), In other words - if you have a text layer selected in the document you are restricted to choosing only text files to place, but with this other situation I see the text file type filter in the bottom right selected as *.txt but I can change it to something else. I never choose by choice to see only text files as I don't normally work with text in AP.

Hopefully this explains it a little better?

On 10/28/2021 at 5:38 PM, walt.farrell said:

Yes. If you have a text object selected, it assumes you want to work with text files.

On a note about the logic of assuming you are working with text files therefore restricting you to placing text files, why does the program NOT restrict you when you have pixel layer selected? This seems inconsistent logic to me, unless text files are considered special and need special circumstances for some reason? Its like saying " you have a stick in your hand but you can choose to have a ball in your hand instead if you like. However if you have a ball in your hand you cannot choose to have a stick in your hand."  Why would anyone design a system like that.

• 2 months later...

I have a related issue, I go to place a file and it appears like there are no files to place, and then I notice the file type is set to .txt text by default, yet I want to place a jpg or png or other file type. Why does it default to .txt? this is an extra step, can I specify in settings for this to default to all file types?

17 minutes ago, RobKlein said:

Why does it default to .txt? this is an extra step, can I specify in settings for this to default to all file types?

No

and it is really annoying

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 4 months later...
On 1/18/2022 at 4:01 PM, RobKlein said:

I have a related issue, I go to place a file and it appears like there are no files to place, and then I notice the file type is set to .txt text by default, yet I want to place a jpg or png or other file type. Why does it default to .txt? this is an extra step, can I specify in settings for this to default to all file types?

This foxed me too when I first started using Publisher, it is quite annoying as it requires selecting the drop-down arrow and clicking on "All documents" or "JPEG" in order to see image/other files. It does seem strange that there's an assumption when making up a page that you'd always draw a Picture Frame and then place the image, I often don't due to the type of work I'm doing, it adds an extra step to do this too. Not a fan of this kind of 'help'!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.