You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I have a problem to which I can't find a solution.
I am trying to build a layered document. Each layer contains a panel of a comic strip, a headline etc.
I have done so a number of times, never encountered tha problem before.

Now this (see picture):
1) I copy the comic strip panel from another document, paste it into this document, align it to the center.
2) Then I try to select everything around the pasted panel to turn it black. For that purpose I click with the Wand tool into a space outside the panel.
Theoretically (and in all cases so far it did so), it now should select the entire space outside the panel.

But, as you can see from the selection lines: it leaves out a space on top of the document. There is no way to select this part. WHY?

I found out that the non-recognized space may have to do with where on the original document the square panel was.
So in this case it was close to the upper edge of the page. Hence there was nothing above.

Therefore I tried to not just copy the panel from the old document, but to copy it using the "Copy Merged" method.
That did not do the trick.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance!
Stephan

Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-26 um 22.04.10.jpg

I am sure it has to do with this (to me solely annoying) decision to not work destructively. I have noticed this issue with annoying leftovers when cropping a file.
Leftovers outside the canvas.
So far I was really all praise of Affinity. And I hope these issues aren't bugs but my fault and there is a way to actually delete/crop something destructively.

And — this is the pressing issue — to make a pasted slice independent of where on the previous document it was.
That's kind of ridiculous a problem, imho.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-26 um 22.51.54.jpg

From where are you copying these 'squares'. How are you selecting the square when you copy it. Could we see the layers studio in your screenshots.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

From where are you copying these 'squares'. How are you selecting the square when you copy it. Could we see the layers studio in your screenshots.

And the document I copy the panels from is a JPG — so it theoretically should not contain information on whre on the page that is from, correct?
And I copy it by using the Rectangular Marquee Tool, of course.

I am guessing the jpeg is somehow corrupted. Just try one more thing and after pasting select the move tool the arrow invoked with a V keystroke and see what sort of selection box you get. For me copying with Copy Merged only did some, what I consider, odd placements in the new document. But the bounding box in all instances was just what the marquee tool selected.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

15 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I am guessing the jpeg is somehow corrupted. Just try one more thing and after pasting select the move tool the arrow invoked with a V keystroke and see what sort of selection box you get. For me copying with Copy Merged only did some, what I consider, odd placements in the new document. But the bounding box in all instances was just what the marquee tool selected.

It selects the empty part to the left as well. As you can see here.
I did encounter problems like this before (that Affinity copied more from a JPG than what I had selected), so I am doubtful that it is this particular JPG.
Also, this JPG was produced using Affinity already. But who knows. Maybe it was not properly flattened or something.
But this one is going to become a somewhat bigger project and I do not want to be forced to redo the whole thing again.

Generally, I don't get what the advantage of this nondestructive copying/cropping etc. is...

Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-26 um 23.50.40.jpg

I JUST found out another strange thing. There is at least a way to access these "dead corners" seen in the screenshots above.
When I "rasterize" the layer, I can then select these areas using the rectangular marquee tool and fill them black.

So rasterizing seems to do the trick.

Edited by Klangrede
correcting a mistake

@Klangrede Posts can be edited, so you do not have to add more and more.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

@Klangrede A couple of things in no particular order:

1) why not just put a black field covering the canvas below everything? That way you don't have to keep filling individual layers.
(Edit: it looks like you might have exactly that at the bottom of the stack there. Why not use that?)

2) I don't think I'm following the problem in your last picture posted. The layer selected in the panel is not visible. But the bounding box suggests it covers the whole canvas. And the thumbnail suggests all the area around the image is black.

3) fwiw.... if I copy and paste imagery into a new doc, I get the same restricted space as you do (agreed, it's a bit weird). BUT, instead of using the wand tool to select the space after pasting, go directly to the bucket fill tool and click anywhere around the pasted image. So now instead of adding a step (rasterizing) you now save two steps ;).

2 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

@Klangrede A couple of things in no particular order:

1) why not just put a black field covering the canvas below everything? That way you don't have to keep filling individual layers.

Absolutely, this is what I would usually do. In this case there are also layers of text which change with the pictures — well a bit more complicated, as I just realize.
However, I see your point, but prefer to do it with complete layers (complete in the sense of: the areas arount the panels filled black).

2) I don't think I'm following the problem in your last picture posted. The layer selected in the panel is not visible. But the bounding box suggests it covers the whole canvas. And the thumbnail suggests all the area around the image is black.

You are right. Though the correct layer is visible, the wrong one is selected in the list. So the bounding box is not that one of the visible layer. Pardon me, my mistake.

3) fwiw.... if I copy and paste imagery into a new doc, I get the same restricted space as you do (agreed, it's a bit weird). BUT, instead of using the wand tool to select the space after pasting, go directly to the bucket fill tool and click anywhere around the pasted image. So now instead of adding a step (rasterizing) you now save two steps ;).

WOW!
Many thanks for that! 
For whatever reason, I never really checked out the bucket tool (is it that I come from Photoshop? maybe)!
Merci, merci, merci!

4 minutes ago, Klangrede said:

@JimmyJack: Well, actually not really, unfortunately (see screen shot).
However, the rasterizing is not so much more of a headache.
(Only that it does not have a key command is.)

Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-27 um 01.16.13.jpg

Hmmm, not sure what you're showing me there. But do whatever gets you there :).

And.... you can assign any shortcut you want.
2012552789_ScreenShot2019-02-26at7_18_13PM.png.ad3d3c3d9b39ed24bb662651fca768d0.png

14 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

3) fwiw.... if I copy and paste imagery into a new doc, I get the same restricted space as you do (agreed, it's a bit weird).

I am not quite sure I understand what you mean about restricted space. While the last several comments were being posted, I created this comic partial.afphoto file from an enlarged section of the OP's screenshot of the multi-panel document. I made a rectangular marquee selection of the left side panel (included in the file as spare channel), copied that selection, & pasted it into this comic partial pasted.afphoto document (history included). I added a black background fill layer, but regardless of that I can move the pasted pixel layer anywhere on (or off) the canvas, so I assume you mean something else, right?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hmmm, not sure what you're showing me there. But do whatever gets you there :).

Okay, what it shows is this:
the black part was filled using the bucket tool. The rest, again was not recognized as part of the layer. I could not access (color/fill/select) any part of the transparent area to the right before rasterizing the layer.

And.... you can assign any shortcut you want.

I am ashamed. I should have found that myself. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Klangrede said:

Okay, what it shows is this:
the black part was filled using the bucket tool. The rest, again was not recognized as part of the layer. I could not access (color/fill/select) any part of the transparent area to the right before rasterizing the layer.

Ah quite right. This has got to be a bug. If you physically move the pasted image (even just one pixel) then both wand and bucket work for the whole canvas.
(note: it's not enough to move it by Arrange dropdown commands. You have to touch it. Ah.... wait a second. "Nudging" it with arrow keys works too.)

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am not quite sure I understand what you mean about restricted space. While the last several comments were being posted, I created this comic partial.afphoto file from an enlarged section of the OP's screenshot of the multi-panel document. I made a rectangular marquee selection of the left side panel (included in the file as spare channel), copied that selection, & pasted it into this comic partial pasted.afphoto document (history included). I added a black background fill layer, but regardless of that I can move the pasted pixel layer anywhere on (or off) the canvas, so I assume you mean something else, right?

Thank you, R-C-R, for taking the time.
As I wrote above, I have done this sort of thing multiple times without a problem: copying, pasting, moving, selecting the space outside using the wand tool, filling that area etc.
I think the particular problem here comes from the fact that I take these single panels of a comic from a huge display of the whole story on one page. Let me refer to it as the Huge Original below.
So, for some reason Affinity in its non-destructrive policy choses that single small panel, but obviously also the information where on the Huge Original it was.
Since one doesn't see what is not on the canvas in Affinity, you will not realize any problem as long as these small panels are not from the edge of the Huge Original.

Now, when that small selected single panel originally was, let's say, at the left edge of the Huge Original, then gets pasted into the new document, it seems to carry the information that there is nothing to its left with it.

Pardon my really not very eloquent description. It's getting kind of late over here and I am (obviously) not someone doing these things professionally. ;-)

3 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

Yes, if you paste as you did and go directly to the wand and click next to the image the selection will be a phantom of the canvas size of the original. Clicking outside the size of the original canvas selects nothing.

Why is that? For whom is that a good thing? Why doesn't it just select what you actually selected? Hm... I guess it is good for something.

6 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

No, I think it's a bug. Was just clarifying the problem for R C-R.

Which you did. Thanks for that. :)

BTW, after making the 'phantom' selection with the Flood Fill Tool, switching to the Move Tool & dragging the pixel layer I get this strange & kind of confusing result:
2128155478_weirdbug!.jpg.07ae73086a946a6adb63f91c99228c7b.jpg

The solid bounding box around the original phantom selection does funny things when I deselect & reselect the layer, move the marching ants selection, & so on, as if the app does not know what is selected or its 'parent.'

Definitely a bug.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Which you did. Thanks for that. :)

BTW, after making the 'phantom' selection with the Flood Fill Tool, switching to the Move Tool & dragging the pixel layer I get this strange & kind of confusing result:
The solid bounding box around the original phantom selection does funny things when I deselect & reselect the layer, move the marching ants selection, & so on, as if the app does not know what is selected or its 'parent.'

Definitely a bug.

I have these all the time. Restarting the program helps.
There are a number of bugs that appear after a few hours of working on a project (regardless of savings in between, which one early on learned to do as often as possible with Affinity, because it used to crash all the time).
Obviously not a programmer myself, I assume that phenomenon is very familiar with programmers.