You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving Layouts (Workspaces) - cheap workaround on Windows

I've seen lots of threads requesting the ability to save workspaces or layouts. I'm (too) choosy about my layout, so I wanted to find a workaround. Since I use a Windows machine I can't help Mac users, but here's what I came up with. 

First, this works great for me but if it doesn't work for you I take no responsibility. 

The settings are saved in xml files in this folder: C:\Users\{YourName}\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces

You'll find folders for each Persona - WindowProfile.xml, Tools.xml and Toolbars.xml.

The WindowProfile.xml file contains your panel layout for each Persona. 

Now, from within AP, in the Persona of interest, arrange your layout. Exit AP and copy the WindowProfile.xml file somewhere else. You can do this to your heart's desire, creating different layouts and saving them in this fashion.

Then, when you want to use a saved layout, with AP closed copy your saved layout and replace "WindowProfile.xml" with that file (that is, copy the desired file to that folder, delete "WindowProfile.xml" and rename the file to "WindowProfile.xml".

This is, of course, a pain in the backside but it does allow you to radically change your layout for a given task easily. 

You may be tempted, as I was, to try other things. For example, I wanted the tools that display clipped highlights and shadows in the Develop Persona available in the Photo Persona. It was easy to copy the 'ClippedGroup' item from the Toolbars file in Develop and add it to the Toolbars file in Photo. They appeared on the toolbar but, as I suspected, do not work in that context. 

Just make sure you back up everything before you touch it and you can always get back to where to came from.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

10 hours ago, casterle said:

Then, when you want to use a saved layout, with AP closed copy your saved layout and replace "WindowProfile.xml" with that file (that is, copy the desired file to that folder, delete "WindowProfile.xml" and rename the file to "WindowProfile.xml".

This is, of course, a pain in the backside but it does allow you to radically change your layout for a given task easily. 

Nice workaround for those that need/requested it.

To make things easier you can create a batch file to rename your existing xml file then copy your desired xml file in it's place. Just save the batch file to your desktop and all it takes is a double click to run it.  (renaming is just a precaution if something goes wrong)

Power users could create multiple batch files that copy different xml files (for different layouts) then automatically fires up APhoto

Super power users could create one batch file that prompts the user for an input (to specify the layout they want) then copies the appropriate xml file and fires up Aphoto

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

here a little batch file which copies the needed XML-File to the standard folder C:\Users\{YourName}\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces" and start AP.

In my case there are two different workspaces (Painting, Photoediting). 

After setting up the workspace(s) i copied it (them) to a folder, renamed it (them) and created the following script inside this folder:

@echo off & setlocal
echo This batch file sets the workspace of
echo Affinity Photo and starts the program!
echo.

REM Set workspace
REM -------------
set workspace=none
set choice=0

echo Available Workspaces:
echo ---------------------

echo [1] Painting
echo [2] Photoediting
echo. 

set /p choice="Please select workspace: "

if %choice% == 1 set "workspace=Painting.xml"
if %choice% == 2 set "workspace=Photoediting.xml"

REM If nothing was selected, stop script
REM ------------------------------------
if %workspace% == none ( 
goto END
)

REM Source is the current directory of this script and the filename
REM Destination is the folder where the workspace is saved (with correct filename)
REM ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
set "source=%~dp0%workspace%"
set "destination=C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces\Photo\WindowProfile.xml"

REM copy workspace file
REM -------------------
copy %source% %destination%

REM Start Affinity Photo
REM --------------------
start "" "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo\Photo.exe"

REM End script
REM ----------
:END

For safety reasons i kept a copy of the last created WindowProfile.xml in the workspace-folder (if something goes wrong with the copy process at any time).

Created under Windows 10. Use it at your own risk ;)

Greetings from Vienna

Martin