You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It would be faster to access the STUDIO list of palettes if STUDIO was on the menu, perhaps between "View" and "Window". No doubt it is a major programming shuffle but accessing STUDIO is done frequently and one click is faster than two.

Giving STUDIO a CTRL+? or ALT/CMD+? shortcut would help, too.

And/or, make an icon for STUDIO so we can put  it on the Toolbar if not on the menu.

TKS.

57 minutes ago, SamSteele said:

accessing STUDIO is done frequently

Really?

57 minutes ago, SamSteele said:

And/or, make an icon for STUDIO so we can put  it on the Toolbar

This one seems more likely to me as the menu bar is already somewhat crowded.  The Studio submenu really belongs in the Window menu rather than the View menu but that is another topic completely.

1 hour ago, SamSteele said:

... but accessing STUDIO is done frequently and one click is faster than two.

What do you do all the time in the studio menu? Once you've set up your interface, you don't have to go there very often.

It would be better if you could reduce the size of the panels if necessary, so that only one icon is visible. Less important panels can then be arranged to save space.  This has already been discussed in the forum several times - also from me.

And please no shortcuts for such unimportant activities. Shortcuts are a scarce commodity!

2 hours ago, Michail said:

What do you do all the time in the studio menu? Once you've set up your interface, you don't have to go there very often.

It would be better if you could reduce the size of the panels if necessary, so that only one icon is visible. Less important panels can then be arranged to save space.  This has already been discussed in the forum several times - also from me.

And please no shortcuts for such unimportant activities. Shortcuts are a scarce commodity!

How sis you determine it was unimportant? Is that unimportant for YOU ONLY or are we all to assume that is is unimportant?

He obviously feels it is important and thus is free to post it

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

3 hours ago, Michail said:

True, I agree that there would not be much value in default shortcuts for these, but having the option to assign custom ones to the options shouldn't be much of an issue - most of us simply wouldn't bother to do so, but if anyone actually wants them they could add them...

And, as it turns out... they already can!  In Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts, Publisher / Miscellaneous (not sure why there rather than View), there are places where people can assign custom keystrokes to toggle the various studio panels on and off.

8 hours ago, Rick G said:

How sis you determine it was unimportant? Is that unimportant for YOU ONLY or are we all to assume that is is unimportant?
He obviously feels it is important and thus is free to post it

In which of my sentences did I forbid @SamSteele to post here freely?

To answer your questions: Yes, it is unimportant FOR ME. All my posts represent my own opinion. I didn't want to write that about each of my posts. I work in graphic design and think that two or three other people agree with me.

There was also a discussion here about undo arrows, which I rejected just as rigorously. After all, it's about an optimal and effective user interface, as well as sophisticated standard shortcuts 9_9

23 hours ago, SamSteele said:

It would be faster to access the STUDIO list of palettes if STUDIO was on the menu, perhaps between "View" and "Window". No doubt it is a major programming shuffle but accessing STUDIO is done frequently and one click is faster than two.

And/or, make an icon for STUDIO so we can put  it on the Toolbar if not on the menu.

TKS.

I've only been a professional Graphic Designer for 30 years and a former power user of InDesign but I guess I am not as "sophisticated" as some. Je suis désolé.

I'd still like to see one of the above options implemented. There is no reason why not. On my monitor there is a huge amount of space on the Menu line.

44 minutes ago, SamSteele said:

one of the above options

One of them is already there - you can assign shortcuts as already indicated:

19 hours ago, fde101 said:

In Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts, Publisher / Miscellaneous (not sure why there rather than View), there are places where people can assign custom keystrokes to toggle the various studio panels on and off.

I wouldn't hold my breath on a taskbar button but the shortcuts are already in there for you to use

2019-02-27_21-02-52.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

4 minutes ago, Rick G said:

the shortcuts are already in there for you to use

Based on the most recent response, I think he means to pop up the menu so he can pick and choose which ones are visible.

I still don't get why someone would need this; it's not like there is value in re-engineering the UI every time you use the program.  If you change it around that often you will waste more time trying to keep up with where things are in the program than actually using it.

Well he asked to pop the list and we have showed him how

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

16 hours ago, Rick G said:

Well he asked to pop the list and we have showed him how

Who showed that?

The shortcuts you most recently showed don't do that. They show the studio itself, not the View > Studio pulldown list.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Who showed that?

The shortcuts you most recently showed don't do that. They show the studio itself, not the View > Studio pulldown list.

Then ALT+V then D is the windows shortcut to open that menu ... or am I profoundly missing something?

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

14 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Then ALT+V then D is the windows shortcut to open that menu ... or am I profoundly missing something?

Yes, that would work on Windows. And as the OP uses Windows (based on prior posts) that may provide the solution they need.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

23 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, that would work on Windows. And as the OP uses Windows (based on prior posts) that may provide the solution they need.

I just checked the shortcut to open the studio and it does not do that, it toggles the right hand pane

Off to post a bug

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

32 minutes ago, Rick G said:

I just checked the shortcut to open the studio and it does not do that, it toggles the right hand pane

Off to post a bug

On my system, anyway. Win 7, AF Pub v 1.7.0.249:

• Alt +V brings up the View menu.
  • Releasing the keys, then hitting D brings up the Studio list.  (Why "D" I wonder?)

I'd prefer to keep my hand on my mouse (or pen), but this shortcut works.

Thanks for the tip.

1 minute ago, SamSteele said:

On my system, anyway. Win 7, AF Pub v 1.7.0.249:

• Alt +V brings up the View menu.
  • Releasing the keys, then hitting D brings up the Studio list.  (Why "D" I wonder?)

I'd prefer to keep my hand on my mouse (or pen), but this shortcut works.

Thanks for the tip.

That will work in any program. Look for the underlined letter in the top level menu such as the F in File. Alt+F opens it. Then there are underlined letters for the items in the menu and hit that key. ALT+F N would open a new document just like CONTROL+N does. You can drill down a deep menu that way if the developers followed the Windows standard and put them all in there

The Affinity line does not have them in there as much as I would like.but they do for the studio so if you train your fingers for a few minutes, it is second nature

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

2 hours ago, SamSteele said:

(Why "D" I wonder?)

Because S would be ambiguous, so they picked another letter from the word that would be non-ambiguous and easy to remember. You'll note that it's underlined in the menu, to tell you what abbreviation you can use.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Because S would be ambiguous, so they picked another letter from the word that would be non-ambiguous and easy to remember. You'll note that it's underlined in the menu, to tell you what abbreviation you can use.

Ah yes. I missed seeing that underlined letter.