You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Couple of things to address for digital painting

Hi!,

I plan to switch to Affinity Photo for my illustration work in the near future. I don't like Adobe's subscription business model.

I've been testing Photo with real projects and works ok.  But there are some things that still need improvements to consider it in a day to day pipeline of work.

First of all I'm testing it on a 2014 27" iMac, 16 GB RAM and 2.7 GHZ processor. Iris Pro Graphics.

1. Brushes still have some lag when painting fast and in high resolution.  Several strokes are drawn very delayed before drawing them with the tablet. Time is crucial in my work and this issue is a little bit frustrating.

2. I understand the color picker being precise, but again, in a day to day basis I use the color picker hundreds of times and almost automatically when I'm painting. As it is now, the delay of the color picker can be annoying when you seat for 5 straight hours painting and try to work as fluid as you can. ¿Can we have a less precise but faster color picker option?, that would be great guys.

And finally, there is this little bug in the brushes panel. When you select one brush and change its size with the keyboard, that brush in the panel is deselected automatically. Visually confuses a bit, even thought the brush itself is still selected. 

Just my two cents, hope this great piece of software make it far, I really admire your work guys!

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

Follow us on Instagram  |  Follow us on Twitter |  Like us on Facebook

Regarding the color picker delay; it actually works instantaneously even if the actual color picker doesn't show. So if you hold Alt and click it will in fact sample that color in a millisecond, there is no need to wait for the color picker to show. With that said; it would be nice if the color picker was shown straight away so you could color pick more precise.

Also; it seems like the color picker will only show up once you move. So the delay you experience is probably because you are holding you mouse still. Try moving it while doing the Alt click. Usually this is not the preferred way a color picker should work, but it seems to be how this one does :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.