You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bullet list level grayed out

In text style settings, when you select a bulleted list type, you can't set the list level. This is kinda counterintuitive, as clients often submit numbered lists that have bulleted sublevels.

Now that I can't set the level to 2, the numbering sequence starts again after a bullet list even though I've set it to be “next level“ to the numbered one. Like this:

1. Peas
  2. Musical fruit
  • More you eat
  • More you
  1. N000!

iMac 27" Retina 2017, 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, OS X Mojave | Long-time Adobe veteran (I still remember Aldus Pagemaker, HA!), making the big move after going freelance. Running Publisher Beta along with Designer and Photo desktop versions. Loving what you guys are doing.

Okay, I found a workaround, but this should not be the way to do it…

I select numbered list and then replace the numbering variable with bullet character.

bullitt.jpg

iMac 27" Retina 2017, 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, OS X Mojave | Long-time Adobe veteran (I still remember Aldus Pagemaker, HA!), making the big move after going freelance. Running Publisher Beta along with Designer and Photo desktop versions. Loving what you guys are doing.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, aaron_miller said:

this is still an issue.

I don't see it as an issue, just (perhaps) a lack of understanding how to deal with lists with mixed numbers and bullets in Publisher, and of the various options that Publisher provides for lists. (Of course, since the original posts in this topic are over a year old, and date from the 1.7 timeframe, it's also possible that additional settings have been provided that weren't there when the original post was made.)

For example, if you want sub-bullets (rather than bullets at the same level as the numbers), just press Tab, which by default would give you, for example, 2.1. Then switch to using bullets (button on the Context Toolbar). Add your bulleted entries.

You'll still notice that when you switch back to the outer level (shift+Tab) that the default Numbered 1 text style will switch the numbering back to 1. But that's an easy fix from the Paragraph panel, where you just set Restart Numbering to Manual. Then you'll easily have something like this:

image.png.47735adf72bb8bc0d09995403e71b601.png

image.png.37ac5da1d84e1e2d74a64c632690a474.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 months later...
On 5/10/2020 at 10:50 PM, walt.farrell said:

I don't see it as an issue, just (perhaps) a lack of understanding how to deal with lists with mixed numbers and bullets in Publisher, and of the various options that Publisher provides for lists. (Of course, since the original posts in this topic are over a year old, and date from the 1.7 timeframe, it's also possible that additional settings have been provided that weren't there when the original post was made.)

For example, if you want sub-bullets (rather than bullets at the same level as the numbers), just press Tab, which by default would give you, for example, 2.1. Then switch to using bullets (button on the Context Toolbar). Add your bulleted entries.

You'll still notice that when you switch back to the outer level (shift+Tab) that the default Numbered 1 text style will switch the numbering back to 1. But that's an easy fix from the Paragraph panel, where you just set Restart Numbering to Manual. Then you'll easily have something like this:

image.png.47735adf72bb8bc0d09995403e71b601.png

image.png.37ac5da1d84e1e2d74a64c632690a474.png

Hi Walt. Me again! :)

I have a paragraph style for a numbered bullet list and I want the sub-bullet to be a square bullet (the same square bullet as I have defined in my standard bullet list paragraph style). I've followed your instructions above and have a sub bullet with a generic round bullet. How can I change the bullet that is being used for level 2? There is no bullet showing in the Text field and the More button is greyed out. Changing the style from Numbered Bullet to Bullet for level 2 does nothing.

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 16.54.32.png

53 minutes ago, SarahB said:

There is no bullet showing in the Text field and the More button is greyed out. Changing the style from Numbered Bullet to Bullet for level 2 does nothing.

It's not clear to me which Text Style you're editing there. But if you've specified that the Style should be "Numbered Bullet" then I would expect that you'd need to edit that Text Style.

Alternatively, changing the Type to Bullet should change the Text field to one that includes the list of bullets.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's not clear to me which Text Style you're editing there. But if you've specified that the Style should be "Numbered Bullet" then I would expect that you'd need to edit that Text Style.

Alternatively, changing the Type to Bullet should change the Text field to one that includes the list of bullets.

A lightbulb has just gone on in my head and I now have what I want :) First level bullets have the Numbered Bullet paragraph style applied, second level have the Bullet paragraph style applied. Not sure why it took me so long to work that out but it has already been a very long week!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.