You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extra blank window

When I close all open documents, I'm left with one blank window with no open document, just like what you get when you first open the app. Even if I close that initial blank window and the open a bunch of files, once I close them there ends up being another blank window. Seems kind of strange to me!

I'm seeing this in Photo and Publisher, but NOT Designer.

57 minutes ago, MEB said:

This is by design.

This is not a common behavior on a Mac (neither is having the empty window upon startup for that matter) so it should probably be recognized that users will not be expecting this.  It violates the principle of least surprise.

Consider that web browsers such as Safari and Chrome support tabbed interfaces to allow multiple "documents" (web pages) to share a window.  The window does not remain open and tabless when you close the last tab - when there are no tabs, there is no window.

It is perfectly valid on the Mac to have a running application with no open windows.  This is an expected and normal behavior, but to have a document window with no documents is not.

Having said that, I have seen plenty of other "professional" applications that are guilty of this same design error.

More than this, its quiet nasty that i allways have to close EACH tab separately AFTER cmd+q/ close AP.... There should be an entry "close without saving ALL" (i often have eg. 17 docs open, just for testing) and do  not want any save....

Than this "feature" by reopen AP after REGULAR close: i ALLWAYS get a start-prompt, like there where 3 unsaved docs.... Same for reopen JPG or tiff.... i get this "There is an unsaved version for this." OF a JPG/image!!!! Where are this files automatically saved? IF i did not say SAVE - i wanted this in 99.8% cases not! If i did not saved by mistake... its so really seldom....

There is just one case i really want a "saved version" as most intakt: After a crash! 

But this kind of allways take "care" is more nasty than care. And BTW: AP really often forget to clean the austosave-folder, so after some weeks there a tons of GigaBytes as forgetten corpse and i have to clean by hand. there should be an entry "clean autosave" and also a "open autosave"... for this 1 of 1000 cases i forget to save a doc! 

And well, this kind of "saving" a JPG/Image is not in the autosave-folder... so, the question where are spamming this kind of files my system full? 

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

24 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Polygonius,
Regarding the application re-opening files for you go to Affinity Preferences, General tab and untick Reopen document(s) on startup.

I think he is referring to the bug which causes the various beta apps to try "recovering" files that you told it not to save.

6 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Jeremy Bohn,
This is by design. You have to go to menu Affinity Photo Beta ▸ Quit or right-click the app's icon in the dock and select Quit to actually close the application itself. All three apps should behave the same way (including Designer) both on Mac and Windows.

I'm not talking about quitting the app, I'm just talking about closing documents. It doesn't make sense to have a blank, document-less window left behind once you close all others. This is especially strange if I close the initial blank window upon opening the app, only to find it back after I close my actual document.

Also, I don't see this behaviour in Designer.

• Staff

You are talking about the application frame that remains on screen when you close all documents or when you run the app. As said it's working as designed although it doesn't follow macOS conventions. Some Windows applications do behave this way (or create a new empty document automatically). Being a cross-platform suite we have kept a common behaviour between platforms rather than following any specific pattern. I will pass this to the dev team for comments.

I find strange Designer isn't doing the same for you. What macOS and Designer version are you running/using?

On 2/26/2019 at 9:23 AM, MEB said:

You are talking about the application frame that remains on screen when you close all documents or when you run the app. As said it's working as designed although it doesn't follow macOS conventions. Some Windows applications do behave this way (or create a new empty document automatically). Being a cross-platform suite we have kept a common behaviour between platforms rather than following any specific pattern. I will pass this to the dev team for comments.

I find strange Designer isn't doing the same for you. What macOS and Designer version are you running/using?

I am running the latest betas for all 3 apps on macOS Mojave. I double checked the forums to make sure I hadn't missed an update.

The thing is that what you call the "frame" doesn't look like a frame at all which is why I was calling it a window. It just looks like a document window but without a document. Creative Suite has a more logical frame - there is no document window, just the toolbar and panels and the desktop is blocked out.

On 2/26/2019 at 4:14 PM, MEB said:

Hi Polygonius,
Regarding the application re-opening files for you go to Affinity Preferences, General tab and untick Reopen document(s) on startup.

thanks, yeah, but it seems to be buggy. No crash before!

Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-28 um 16.43.47.png

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've discovered what exactly is happening and in my mind it's consistently inconsistent. In all 3 Affinity apps, if I click the close button, the document closes and it leaves no blank window behind. If I go File > Close, the document closes and leaves the blank window behind.

Now, I don't know why the blank window happens at all except that it apparently "as designed". However, why is clicking the close box a different, and actually my preferred, behaviour? The close box should be in essence a shortcut for the Close command. Likewise, if my hands are already on the keyboard and I need to close a window, I'm more likely to press command-w to close it, which leaves the blank window behind, which I don't want.

macOS Mojave

2 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

The close box should be in essence a shortcut for the Close command.

I think it is actually the other way around, at least in general, not necessarily in the Affinity apps - the Close menu command more commonly triggers the close box of the window.

If you have multiple documents open in the Affinity apps they show a tab bar to switch between documents, which is hidden when only one is open.

I suspect that the Close menu command in the Affinity apps is actually closing the document (the "tab") within the document window, while the close box you are clicking on is the box for the window itself, which has the side-effect of also closing the documents.

When you close the last document, I agree that the window as a whole should close along with it, but from this description it is closing just the "tab" and leaving the window behind...

I can't say I have ever paid that much attention to this behavior of the apps before.  The fact that they open the empty window to begin with is already somewhat non-standard for a document-based app on a Mac so I suppose I kind of expect it to be somewhat non-standard after that.  At one time it was actually a human interface guidelines violation to display a splash screen on a Mac app...

Whatever it is, it's strange, maybe at least for Mac users. Even more so if the app opens by default with a blank window and you close that window, then open a document and continue working. Once you close that document (not with the close box) and you find the blank window that you just closed has returned, this would not be expected and rather pointless.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.