ncJohn

image upside-down after being minimized

I had several images open so I minimized this one (using the _ at the top-right corner) to get it out of the way. When I restored it, besides being very, very, very tiny (I had to make it full-screen in order to find it), it was upside down. There's nothing in the history to indicate that I accidentally hit some key-combo, besides which it wouldn't have been active while it was minimized. Is this something that's documented? Should I file a bug report?

Using version 1.6.5.123 on Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Clipboard01.jpg

7 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi ncJohn,
Out of curiosity, if you go to menu View ▸ Reset Rotation does it fix it?

Yes, it did. (I left it reversed until I got your reply.)

How are the View>Rotate commands different from the Rotate commands under Menu Document?

6 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi ncJohn,

If possible could you provide a screen recording of this happening?

Thanks

Callum

It's never happened before or since; just the one time. I've left it reversed until I got the reply from MEB asking me about using View>Reset Rotation.

There have been instances where I go to restore a minimized image and it's gotten so small that I have to make it full-screen in order to find it. But this is the first time I've found one reversed.

Edited by ncJohn

5 hours ago, ncJohn said:

How are the View>Rotate commands different from the Rotate commands under Menu Document?

The Document menu rotate commends rotate the document itself by 90° increments. The View > Rotate commands only rotate the view of the document by 15° increments, not the document itself.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

21 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The Document menu rotate commends rotate the document itself by 90° increments. The View > Rotate commands only rotate the view of the document by 15° increments, not the document itself.

Is the View>Rotate to make it easier to make edits, like with a tablet? Or what's the main purpose?

7 minutes ago, ncJohn said:

Is the View>Rotate to make it easier to make edits, like with a tablet? Or what's the main purpose?

To rotate so the picture is portrait/landscape orientation. Happens occasionally that I need to do that with an image.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.1 | Affinity Photo 1.7.1 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.1

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

To rotate so the picture is portrait/landscape orientation. Happens occasionally that I need to do that with an image.

Wouldn't you use Document Rotate for that? Not View>Rotate?

4 minutes ago, ncJohn said:

Wouldn't you use Document Rotate for that? Not View>Rotate?

Yes. View > Rotate is intended to make it easier to sketch at an angle, like rotating a real sketchpad to draw an arc at an angle across the page.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

18 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Yes. View > Rotate is intended to make it easier to sketch at an angle, like rotating a real sketchpad to draw an arc at an angle across the page.

Okay, and I notice that that doesn't make an entry in the history, so that's a very cool feature. Thanks.