You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Frame Inset Bug

Currently working with Publisher 1.7.0.249.

When I attempt to apply a text frame inset value of 0.25 inches in the Text Frame Panel, my text is unexpectedly offset from the top of the text frame by what appears to be 1.25 inches.

Stepping the offset value down incrementally, I find a behavior break point between 0.13 inches and 0.14 inches. (See attached screen shots.)

Any idea about what's going on here?

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 4.23.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 4.24.09 PM.png

56 minutes ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

Any idea about what's going on here?

Just a guess but I think you may have the Align to Baseline Grid option for the text on. and a very large baseline grid value.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@Old Bruce

You may be correct, although I began with a fresh document immediately after installing 1.7.0.249, and I did not actively set a baseline grid.

I've tried to reproduce the problem and I cannot. It may have been a one-time occurrence related to the installation of the new beta software. It may be an intermittent bug. I'll monitor the issue with more tests over the next few days to see if it crops up again. 

Strike all that above. I have reproduced the problem.

This time an unexpected jump occurs when the top inset is over 1.83 inches. (See attached screen shots.) The break point in this instance occurs between the top inset values of 1.83 inches and 1.84 inches. By incrementing the top inset from 1.83 inches to 1.84 inches, the typeset paragraph jumps downward a distance that appears to be equal to the leading (linespacing), roughly 48 points. The font I'm using is a licensed Opentype Postscript file for the face DIN Next LT Pro Bold.

A baseline grid has not been set or activated. 

I'll attach the Publisher file below. 

P.S. If I change the font from DIN Next LT Pro Bold to Arial Bold, the problem remains, but this time the breakpoint for the unexpected jump occurs between 1.81 inches and 1.82 inches.

It's a mystery.

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 9.00.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 9.01.01 PM.png

TextFrameInsetv01.afpub

Edited by Mark Oehlschlager

@fde101

I've just checked the box for "Ignore Baseline Grid" under the General section of the Text Frame Panel. Unfortunately, there is no change to the weird behavior.

BTW, I've also checked to make sure that there is no document-based baseline grid set up.

Feel free to download the file in question and take a look. (Attached above.)

For what it is worth I just downloaded the file and copied the text then deleted the text frame, made a new text frame with the same location and dimensions and pasted the text. No problem that I could see. 

Oh and first I tried turning off all the snapping candidates but the jump still happened, so it isn't a snapping thing, nor is it a font issue that I could tell. All my fonts showed the same jumping behaviour.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.