You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer Isolation Mode

Win 10, latest AP release as well as Beta 1.7.0.243.

According to the manual, I should be able to exit Isolation Mode in one of three ways:

To activate isolation mode:
  • On the Layers panel, hold down the Alt key and click on the thumbnail of the layer.

To exit isolation mode, press the Esc key, click another layer or click on the page.

The only way that works for me is clicking on another layer. I'm not sure what 'click on the page' means, but clicking on the image or blank spots on the UI doesn't work and neither does pressing the Escape key.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

• Staff

Hey casterle,

15 hours ago, casterle said:

To exit isolation mode, press the Esc key

This doesn't work for me either

click another layer

This does work

click on the page

No idea what it means by 'page' but clicking the Background (area around the canvas) does close it. 

I'll get in touch with the documentation team and let them know. I will also ask the developers why esc doesn't work.

• Staff

I've just had a word with dev/docs about this and basically, the Help is correct for Designer and all 3 methods work.

We will remove the 'esc' and 'page' bit from the Photo help as this intentionally works differently as it tries to avoid having no selection. You will have to rely on clicking another layer to exit the Isolation mode in Photo.

6 hours ago, Chris B said:

I've just had a word with dev/docs about this and basically, the Help is correct for Designer and all 3 methods work.

We will remove the 'esc' and 'page' bit from the Photo help as this intentionally works differently as it tries to avoid having no selection. You will have to rely on clicking another layer to exit the Isolation mode in Photo.

That's fine with me, I was just pointing out the inconsistency between the docs and the UI behavior.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.