You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unhandled Exception error

After the latest windows update, my beloved Affinity Photo will not load. I get an "unhandled Exception" error. The crash reporter comes up. But after three (3) keystrokes, it vanishes. So I cannot report the error or even give my email. The reference in the edit box is : d8888c29-e25b-41f3-9fd0-d66a1ed61ca1 . please any suggestions would be most welcomed. Thank you. 

• Staff

Hi ReggiePLS :)

Sorry to hear it! Firstly can you please check that your graphics card drivers are up to date.

Secondly, resetting your app and cache may solve this - You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.
Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. Unfortunately if you are unable to open the app you cannot backup such settings before resetting the app, apologies.

How far into the opening process does the app get before crashing? Is it at the start splash screen?

Did you purchase the app directly from us, or from the Windows App Store?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks, Dan C,

I've noticed that the app gets stuck at "Loading Fonts". That is when the error message pops up. Since I posted this, I've uninstalled AP, and reinstalled it, and entered my registration key. So, I know it isn't coming from any of the extras I might have added. i.e. the macros, the brushes, etc. So, the Error reporter still does not allow me to enter any data to send. And the clear settings options you mentioned, suffers a similar problem. I click the clear all button. And then the continue. It disappears, but I have no way of knowing if it does anything, as the same error box shows up. Am I the only one with this problem? If you give me the name of the error file AP generates, maybe I can attach it to one of these posts. I'm missing my AP.

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that. Do you have an external font manager, or many third party fonts installed on your computer?

Even if the crash reporter is closing, your crash logs will still be saved on your system. Please open Run by holding the Windows key & R, then in the open dialog, copy and paste the following string:

%appdata%/Affinity/Photo/1.0/CrashReports

In the Windows Explorer folders that opens, please select the most recent 2 or 3 crash logs and upload them here so we can investigate this for you :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I found the crashreport folder manually on my computer, and it was empty. I am guessing that the crash reported isn't functioning as it should, even to generate the report, not to mention being able to accept input, and transmit the file to you.

As for an external font manager, I don't recall installing one. In either case, I certainly didn't add one between the time AP worked, and AP stopped working.  Is there a "safe mode" in AP that I could load where it does NOT try to load the fonts from my system, just fonts withing AP?

• Staff
8 minutes ago, ReggiePLS said:

I am guessing that the crash reported isn't functioning as it should, even to generate the report, not to mention being able to accept input, and transmit the file to you.

It sounds as though the crash reporter is actually functioning as intended to some extent. Once you select 'OK' on the crash report screen it will send the crash report through to our servers with our without your email - and then delete the local file from your system. This means that likely we are receiving anyonomised crash reports from your computer, as you've mentioned previously the crash report itself is also closing.

Firstly, if you could open Affinity Photo, wait for the error message to appear but do not select 'OK', leave the window open. Navigate to the aforementioned folder and you should see the crash report here, which can be uploaded to us.

Secondly, I recommend downloading and installing the beta version 1.7 from the following link, to see if this is an issue with your retail version or with the Affinity apps in general.

12 minutes ago, ReggiePLS said:

Is there a "safe mode" in AP that I could load where it does NOT try to load the fonts from my system, just fonts withing AP?

Unfortunately not, these are interlinked and cannot be separated.

Please note -

Many thanks!

41 minutes ago, ReggiePLS said:

Is there a "safe mode" in AP that I could load where it does NOT try to load the fonts from my system, just fonts withing AP?

There’s no such thing as fonts “within” APh (or either of the other Affinity apps). It enumerates all of the fonts which are installed/loaded on your system when you launch the app.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)