You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Out-of-order page numbers in Index

The page numbers in the index are out of order.

See screenshots below and attached .afpub Demo file.

The index should show "affinity 1-5" -- NOT "affinity 1,3,2,5,4"

I created a 6-page document with "facing pages".

and modified the default Master Page:

• add two Groups ("Recto" and "Verso") each containing two Text Frames
  • inserted a page number field into one Text Frame in each group

39900656_ScreenShot2019-02-25at9_51_59AM.png.573c93c141516ee761cee70cadb97bd5.png

I then typed "affinity" into the other Text Frame for pages 1-5 and marked each as an Index item.

I then added a Text Frame to page 6 and inserted the index.

The page numbers in the index are out of order.

1803414282_ScreenShot2019-02-25at9_35_26AM.png.29a172c2d3920697b5ece6e72ab64186.png

Note that if I swap the Recto and Verso groups on the Master Page and then delete and re-create the index, the page numbers are correct (i.e. "affinity 1-5").

This seems like a bug to me. IMHO, I should not need to create the layers on the Master Page in some mystical sequence to get a proper index!

At the least, this is very confusing and took me hours to figure out. Actually, two very helpful users on the Publisher Forum figured it out.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Demo_bug_index_page_number_order.afpub

• Affinity Publisher 2.0.4
  • Affinity Photo 2.0.4
  • Affinity Designer 2.0.4
  • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.10.16
  • MacBook Air (M1, 2020) running macOS Ventura v13.0.1
  • Nikon D7100 with 18-135mm zoom

http://www.dojopico.org

• Staff

Hi afdojo,

Thanks for reporting this.

I've had a go at producing a similar file, however it all worked fine for me until I changed the frames around (which is what you mention fixes it, but for me it was what I had to do to "break" it in the first place).

I'm curious if you did you do a similar thing to get the file in this way to begin with?

Either way I think we should deal with this scenario better so have logged it for the developers to look into further.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

1 hour ago, Jon P said:

Hi afdojo,

I've had a go at producing a similar file, however it all worked fine for me until I changed the frames around (which is what you mention fixes it, but for me it was what I had to do to "break" it in the first place).

I'm curious if you did you do a similar thing to get the file in this way to begin with?

Either way I think we should deal with this scenario better so have logged it for the developers to look into further.

I am having the same type of confused page numbers, but with another situation.   I had page number text frames (or whatever they are called) on a master page.   I then created a document with facing pages, and started with 10 pages.   I am not linking text frames, but putting separate images with small unlinked text frames as captions on these pages.    All the page numbers appeared correctly.   But then I inserted a new 2-page spread after page 4, planning to keep images in chronological order.  The new pages were numbered in reverse order, and all subsequent spreads had the numbers reversed - left side odd, right side even.    I think this is something new in v. 249, because I inserted pages in a different document in v. 238 and they came in correctly.      

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Further on this numbering thing, I removed the page number fields on the master pages and saved the document.    I have just reopened it and placed the page number fields again on the master pages.   This time, all spreads are numbered correctly!   Very strange.   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

On 2/27/2019 at 8:42 AM, Jon P said:

Hi afdojo,

Nope, I created the attached Demo .afpub file just as described and as the screenshot shows. I added the Recto/right layers first so they're on the bottom and the Verso/left layers next so they're on the top.

• Affinity Photo 2.0.4

On 2/27/2019 at 11:18 AM, jmwellborn said:

Further on this numbering thing, I removed the page number fields on the master pages and saved the document.    I have just reopened it and placed the page number fields again on the master pages.   This time, all spreads are numbered correctly!   Very strange.   

Yes, that's very strange. Even though the index for my Demo .afpub is out-of-order, the page numbers themselves are OK -- i.e. pages 2,4,6 are on the left and pages 1,3,5 are on the right.

• Affinity Photo 2.0.4

On 2/27/2019 at 8:42 AM, Jon P said:

Hi afdojo,

Jon,

I've attached an even simpler Demo2 .afpub file.

It occurred to me that Page 1 is Page 1 whether a '1' is displayed/printed on Page 1 or not so I removed the two TextFrames that contained the PageNumber fields (left and right facing pages) from the Master page. I also removed the groups (Verso and Recto) because they were just there to make it easier to reorder the Verso/Recto layers.

Here's the newer/simpler Master Page in the attached Demo2 file.

1383969906_ScreenShot2019-03-04at5_18_56PM.png.924d1351702c32e277d8070c112c8f7f.png

The Index, of course, is still out of order.

Thanks,

Doug

Demo2_bug_index_page_number_order.afpub

• Affinity Photo 2.0.4

• Staff

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the clarification, I'm fairly certain the issue I logged for this covers getting a file in this way, where the index can be out of date.

I notice your "Right frame" is on the left and vice versa, and I've reproduced this (the issue I've logged relates to moving text frames from left/right and it affecting the index numbering like you've experienced).

Jon,

Hmmm, maybe I'm misinterpreting your notes but both seem not quite right to me.

The problem isn't that the "index can be out of date" -- the problem is that the index is wrong -- it's out of order. I created the six pages, added "marked" text to five of them, created the index and bang, it's wrong.

Also, your comment that my "Right frame" is on the left and vice versa sounds incorrect. In the Demo2 .afpub file, the "Left text" (Frame text) is on the left facing page and the "Right text" (Frame text) is on the right facing page.

I hope this helps clarify the problem (as I see it) -- I don't mean to confuse the issue.

• Affinity Photo 2.0.4

• Staff

Hi afdojo,

I think we probably just got some mixed messages as I could have worded some stuff better (You are correct that I was wrong with the order of the text frames when i looked at the file).

Either way, the bug that I logged when looking into this is now fixed, so if you download the latest beta (1.7.0.257) and still encounter this issue then I'll go through this and try suss out what I missed! The example file in your initial post seems ok for me now if I update the index (without changing anything else in the file).

Thanks

On 3/8/2019 at 9:01 AM, Jon P said:

Hi afdojo,

I think we probably just got some mixed messages as I could have worded some stuff better (You are correct that I was wrong with the order of the text frames when i looked at the file).

Either way, the bug that I logged when looking into this is now fixed, so if you download the latest beta (1.7.0.257) and still encounter this issue then I'll go through this and try suss out what I missed! The example file in your initial post seems ok for me now if I update the index (without changing anything else in the file).

Thanks

Jon,

Excellent! The updated index how shows "affinity 1-5". Kudos to you and the dev team for the quick turnaround!

• Affinity Photo 2.0.4

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.