You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Show Hyperlinks indication in Edit Mode?

Is there some way to show or indicated what text and objects have hyperlinks attached? I'm asking about when I look at a page I would like to know where the hyperlinks are on that page without having to search for them through the Hyperlinks Studio panel.

1 hour ago, Mr. K said:

Is there some way to show or indicated what text and objects have hyperlinks attached? I'm asking about when I look at a page I would like to know where the hyperlinks are on that page without having to search for them through the Hyperlinks Studio panel.

Do you have Text > Show Special Characters checked? You will see a anchor symbol in the place you have an anchor, I don't know if we can do the same for pages though.

anchor.jpeg.9cb8e3d69eb2fd3bf01e0aa526abfd49.jpeg

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Mr. K said:

Is there some way to show or indicated what text and objects have hyperlinks attached?

Not sure if you mean:

1. which objects are anchors;

2. which objects that are anchors have hyperlinks that point to them;

3. which objects are hyperlinks.

For 1 see Old Bruce's answer. For 3, I don't know except that by default text ones have special formatting that is visible (blue, underlined).

For 2, no idea.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi 

Old Bruce says anchor symbol appears when you select   Text -  Show Special Characters.   On my system (Windows 10 ) the anchor symbol appears when I select Text -- Interactive--Show Anchors.  1450096767_AffinityAnchorsShow.PNG.d393cc5f89f857af642fc22f45fef5bd.PNG

The other symbol at the end of a hyperlink appears when I use Text -- Show Special Characters  and both will appear if both of these commands are checked.  Maybe that is a difference between Mac and Windows systems

Pman

30 minutes ago, PMan said:

Old Bruce says anchor symbol appears when you select   Text -  Show Special Characters.   On my system (Windows 10 ) the anchor symbol appears when I select Text -- Interactive--Show Anchors.

Wow, same here. I just never noticed it before, thanks for pointing that out and saving me some grief when I can't figure why the anchors are gone. [smiley face emoticon]

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

17 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

I have URL links on text and objects. They don't show when I check "Show Anchors."

Do you mean

(1) that you have placed hyperlinks on text and objects so they will link to someplace else?

Or

(2) that you have placed anchors on text and objects so hyperlinks elsewhere can link to them?

Sorry to be pedantic but the terminology needs to be used properly to avoid confusion.

I think you mean (1), but only (2) is relevant to Show Anchors.

Anchors are the targets of hyperlinks.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

16 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

So is there a way to show in my AFPub file what object and text on the page has my hyperlinks attached?

There is a little icon/button/thing in the bottom left of the Hyperlinks Studio. Highlight a Link and click that and the result is what is on page behind the studio.

307314658_Untitled2.thumb.jpeg.f25ca77fb7102ac838ce55809eabdfbb.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

I mean 

So is there a way to show in my AFPub file what object and text on the page has my hyperlinks attached?

Text that is a hyperlink will by default be blue and underlined. If you've changed that default formatting, only you can know what it might look like. As far as I know Publisher does not put any kind of symbol next to such text (perhaps because the designers figured that the hyperlink styling would be a good enough indicator?).

I have no idea how objects that are hyperlinks look, as I have not tried that yet. Sorry.

(Perhaps, talking about text/objects that "are hyperlinks" rather than ones "that have hyperlinks attached" may be clearer? We need to find some useful, simple terminology.)

-- Walt
PC:

9 hours ago, Mr. K said:

I mean 

Hi, 

I've been 'playing' with hyperlinks for a few hours now. To answer your question about showing what text or object has your hyperlinks attached -  it seems that you cannot put an anchor (the point to which a hyperlink will jump) onto an object but if you right-click an object and select  Convert to Text Frame, then you can select this text frame and select Text -- Interactive -- Insert Anchor.  As Walt Farrel has said, if you create a hyperlink then the hyperlink will be shown as Blue  (CMYK values C 88 M 77 Y 0 K 0).If you select Text menu ---Interactive  -- Show Anchors OR Text Menu -- Show Special Characters  and   also Show Fields then your ANCHORS will be displayed as blue anchor  symbol  and the Double S (or End of Section ) will also be displayed. This image shows 
i) an Anchor  in text,   ii) A hyperlink which would return the reader to Page 1 and iii) a cloud converted to a text frame and then an Anchor placed in it.  These two anchors are on Page 4 of my spread with the hyperlinks on Page 1
 96339407_AffinityAnchorstextandframe.PNG.b063bf059ce83a0327b391a45588947d.PNG  

This image shows Hyperlinks tab, opened from View -- Studio -- Hyperlinks.  When I first loaded beta 249, that didn't work so I was forced to do a reset (Hold down the Control key while starting Publisher and then when the reset screen appears, tick the top three items before selecting Clear) and then it became operational. 

1669269855_AffinityAnchorshyperlinks.PNG.1fa7b6c4c193da5ac343d8820cce5c07.PNG

From this you can, as Old Bruce has said, select a hyperlink and then click on the Bottom Left icon to go to the Source (or start ) of the hyperlink.

Since these terms are used in Publisher, can we use Source as the point at which you want the hyperlink to operate from (ie when clicked it will jump FROM that point to a Page, to an Anchor or to a URL)  (THE SOURCE WILL BECOME BLUE once made)   and an Anchor is a specific point in a spread that the hyperlink will jump TO when selected?

Hope this helps you and finally here is the PDF file I generated whilst playing. In two text frames I converted from shapes, I actually put text in BEFORE finding you only needed to convert to text frame and then simply add an Anchor. hyperlinks.pdf

Pman

Everyone is assuming my text is blue and underlined, it is not. And none of these solutions addresses a URL hyperlink added to an object.

Dear Affinity, in the AFPub project window please add a visual indicator to any text or object that has a URL hyperlink attached.

37 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

Everyone is assuming my text is blue and underlined, it is not.

Serif may be assuming that. The rest of us (or at least, I) have not assumed that, though :)

I agree there should be some special marking of all objects and text that are hyperlinks, on the document page, so it's obvious.

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I agree there should be some special marking of all objects and text that are hyperlinks, on the document page, so it's obvious.

Yes, and that it should be possible to toggle this on and off as with "Show Anchors".

An additional option that might be helpful would be to right-click somewhere in the link and choose "Select Hyperlink" from the context menu (hypothetical option, not actually there right now) then the entire link becomes highlighted.

On 2/25/2019 at 4:50 PM, Mr. K said:

Hi Mr K ,

Your original question was about showing text  AND objects.  In my earlier reply I hadn't found out how to apply a hyperlink to an object.  Since then I have done that to a simple shape (a triangle) by selecting it, clicking on Add Hyperlink from Hyperlink Tab, selecting  as URL and pasting the URL in the box which opens. As you say , there is no way to see that that AN OBJECT is hyperlinked. 

688567904_AffinityAnchorsandhyperlinks.PNG.be9ef1c13f205817fe640428e190a475.PNG

There again, unless you are going to tell the reader to click on that object, how will they know it is going to be a hyperlink  or where it will potentially take them?. 

I've attached the relevant PDF file to show that the link in the triangle works.  hyperlinks.pdf

Pman

10 minutes ago, PMan said:

There again, unless you are going to tell the reader to click on that object, how will they know it is going to be a hyperlink  or where it will potentially take them?

I understand what you are saying about how does a reader know there's a link in the PDF, but here's my page, I have a link on the logo on the first page, and one the small logo and one on the ThriftyCabinets.com on the second page. On neither of those do I want them blue and undefined. These links were placed using AFPub's Text/Interactive/Add Hyperlink command. Irrelevant if what I'm doing is seen as correct or not, I cannot easily tell these links are on my pages in the app, and that is what I need.

1454997069_ScreenShot2019-02-26at11_41_29AM.thumb.png.087c51c793f55d7aa3abf2eb9bc35725.png1101630670_ScreenShot2019-02-26at11_41_48AM.thumb.png.b15efb0ed33496e4b68868be5f922575.png

And how do you expect the reader to know the links are present, as @PMan wondered?

If you don't distinguish them visually in some way one might argue it's worthless to have the links.

(I'm not saying that you shouldn't be able to tell while editing your document. I think Serif should improve that.

But if the reader can't tell the links are there, why have them? And for text-based links, that's your responsibility.)

-- Walt
PC:

Mr K,

This may solve part of your problem - I have found that you could put your Logo on the Master Page and set a hyperlink to your URL, then you could put your web address on the bottom left of your Master Page and set a hyperlink there.  If you select No Style while setting the hyperlink the text will NOT turn blue.  These hyperlinks become active on every page of your spread.  Therefore on your Credenza Plans for example you would no longer  have to set a hyperlink to your logo and your web address on each page, therefore reducing the number of hyperlinks from 20 to just two! as indicated here 1084690652_MrK.PNG.73f29c2998a8e46e77cda9a5df52ec69.PNG  It doesn't help solve the problem of seeing if an object is hyperlinked or not but you'd be working with a lot less, and you'd only have to check these on your master page.  I have tested out this idea and it works, one master page with hyperlinks which then work on every page in the spread

Love your web site by the way so hope this will make it more successful

Pman

This information may help others who have wondered if a hyperlink can be set on a Master Page

Hi Mr K,

on closer examination of your Credenza Plan, you'd actually need two master pages, one for the first page where your logo is larger and in a different place and there is no web address at the bottom, and then the second for the rest of the pages.  However, this still means that you'd only need to set three hyperlinks for the whole spread.

Pman

17 hours ago, PMan said:

Mr K,

This may solve part of your problem - I have found that you could put your Logo on the Master Page and set a hyperlink to your URL, then you could put your web address on the bottom left of your Master Page and set a hyperlink there.  If you select No Style while setting the hyperlink the text will NOT turn blue.  These hyperlinks become active on every page of your spread.  Therefore on your Credenza Plans for example you would no longer  have to set a hyperlink to your logo and your web address on each page, therefore reducing the number of hyperlinks from 20 to just two! as indicated here 1084690652_MrK.PNG.73f29c2998a8e46e77cda9a5df52ec69.PNG  It doesn't help solve the problem of seeing if an object is hyperlinked or not but you'd be working with a lot less, and you'd only have to check these on your master page.  I have tested out this idea and it works, one master page with hyperlinks which then work on every page in the spread

Love your web site by the way so hope this will make it more successful

Pman

This information may help others who have wondered if a hyperlink can be set on a Master Page

Pman,

Thanks for the compliment. I am SO glad Affinity added hyperlinks. It will make my marketing of my plans much easier since "materials source partners" will see I can link directly to their websites.

I am setting my hyperlinks that are on all pages on my Master Pages, and that is working great. It saves a lot of work, and making changes is then easy, but the actual number of hyperlinks is counted as a whole in the document. If there's one hyperlink on a single master page, and 10 pages in the project that have that master page applied, then there are 11 hyperlinks in the project. At least that is what happens when I apply my master pages with hyperlinks to my project pages.

I do have two master pages. One is called "Cover," the other is called "Body."

17 hours ago, fde101 said:

It is part of the adventure!  Rolling the mouse pointer over each word of the document to see where the pointer changes...

I realize the greater issue is readers viewing my plans on tablets and smartphones (no mouse). So for that reason I am redoing my hyperlinks to be blue and underlined where ever I can. I still have no intention of adding blue around my logos.

It appears we all are in agreement that we could use a visual indicator in our AFPub project files for any object or text that has a hyperlink attached.

Here's something I have encountered already. Just because this text is blue and underlined (that style can be added using the built-in Hyperlink Style in the Character dropdown or panel), does not mean it has a properly attached hyperlink, and I would know that if I could see an indicator in the project file.

1370742824_ScreenShot2019-02-27at7_54_44AM.thumb.png.8ac893f8ac50d7d3afffd4d533e7c535.png

Specifically for situations like that one, @Mr. K, we could also use a simple way to locate all anchors that do not yet have a hyperlink pointing to them. Either something in the Hyperlink panel, or a  new Anchor panel, or perhaps something like the Resource Manager.

-- Walt
PC:

Hi Mr K et al,

At first I was puzzled as to why you had more hyperlinks than I did when I tried putting two hyperlinks on a Master Page, attached to a 10 page spread, so I tried again by setting up  a 20 page spread  with a common master.  Once I'd added 2 hyperlinks on the Master,  I still got only the two hyperlinks showing in the Hyperlinks Studio tab  and on publishing the spread to PDF, the hyperlinks on all pages worked yet only 2 showed on Hyperlinks Studio tab UNTIL I added more pages.  As soon as more pages are added then that number of hyperlinks is added to Hyperlinks Studio.  Deleting those new pages reduced the number of hyperlinks back to my original 2.  It would seem that you would be better to set up your spread with more pages than you know you would want and then to delete all the blank pages before you publish.

I will report my findings on this as a possible bug.

Pman