You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello. I am having a bit of confusion with the text flowing. When the writing fills the text box and I want it to flow to the next box do I have to draw a new text box each time. After some experimenting, I was able to get it to flow but it duplicated the size of the original text box. (Example. if the original box was only half a page all the other text boxes were half a page and I had to manually adjust each box.) Is there a way to tell it where to begin flowing on the next page. The reason I ask this is I format books and the chapter pages the writing always begins part way down the page but it then fills the next pages. I don't want to have to manually adjust each text box for a 500-page book.

thank you

Wickedly clever fantasy

Publisher still has some growing to do in this area, but this is at least possible without *too* much extra work:

Create two master pages: one for the chapter title and one for the rest of the chapter.

Start with the chapter title page and add the text there.  Add one page after the chapter title and make sure it has the master set for the rest of the chapter.

From the first page of the chapter, select the overflowing text box and click once on the red arrow along the lower-right of the text box.  With the pointer still indicating that flowing is being set up, switch to the second page and click once on the text box intended to contain the next page of text.  This will link the chapter title page text into the next page.

Assuming that page is also overflowing, shift-click on the red arrow on the second page to create the remaining pages.

For a typical book, there is no need to use the different master pages route. One can have the Space Above set to use whatever spacing needed to always start a p.style down from the column top.

capture-002529.png.63c54d4a517930340086810aa88d27b7.png

1 hour ago, Wickedly clever fantasy said:

Hello. I am having a bit of confusion with the text flowing. When the writing fills the text box and I want it to flow to the next box do I have to draw a new text box each time. ...

APub isn't like a word processor. It really isn't too suitable for writing text without manual intervention at each page. Using a master page text frame (or frames as regards facing pages) as once the cursor disappears at the bottom of a text frame, you can autoflow to the next page like fde101 wrote.

It would be nice if there was a "base" page one could just write on and have the pages created automatically like Ventura Publisher can have. But no layout application has capability these days.

Mike

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

It would be nice if there was a "base" page one could just write on and have the pages created automatically like Ventura Publisher can have. But no layout application has capability these days.

QuarkXPress has a limited capability to do this; check "Automatic Text Box" when creating the project.