You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apply gradient to multiple specific layers.

Hey guys,

I am a relatively inexperienced user and am looking for some advice on how to achieve an effect. So I want to create a gradient overlay from the top of my document to the bottom to affect several layers however these layers need to be at different depths.

The couple of ways I know of to do this don't really feel like they fit:

1. Using the Gradient Overlay effect

• Recreating the effect each time I want to apply it to a new object is obviously super time consuming
  • Gradient is scaled based on the size of the object where I want it to apply across the whole document.

2. Creating a Gradient Object and using blending to apply it to other layers

• Doesn't respect which layers it should be applied to so can't render the visual hierarchy in the order that I want for overlapping elements.

3. Applying the gradient as a mask layer

• Can't move elements without repositioning the mask layer.
  • Duplicating the mask layer for each element I want this effect applied to seems inefficient.

Below is an example of the kind of effect I want to achieve (Although I will want more directly overlapping elements that intersect each other):

29699076_Screenshot2019-02-25at14_58_06.thumb.png.a21598aa4450112614cacf542dc65465.png

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to achieve this?