You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Object Selection by Path Only

• 2 months later...

I'm also raising my hand and beg you guys to include that option!

When I did an Illustrator course years ago, one of the very first things I learned was how important it was to be able to select paths only by paths. It's important because so many times you would have something covering a path and you just don't wanna fiddle around finding out where you are allowed to click on. In Illustrator this allows a more focused way to work with paths. It needs you to get used to it as it's less convinient for a more casual approach, but it lets you work more precise. 

BUT in Affinity Designer there's at least a quite OK workaround this issue: switch to wireframe-view lets you work with all paths equally. I'd still love Serif to include the additional option to just select paths by clicking on the paths as it's really weird to go back to how it works now, once you're used to it. It's like it's totally cool that Serif included moving your pen-tool in the process of drawing by pressing space which is something they tried to argue wouldn't be necessary when people asked for it and now that it's there it's just a lifesaver once you got used to it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you valcoholic for a more informative post. I hope more and more see this thread, and jumps on the train. I hade totally missed the wireframe-view. Thanks! I also noticed that ""Object Selection by Path Only" work a with shapes that has no fill color. The option would be easy to add.

Moving pen-tool with space! Good one! Thanks again for a great additional post!

On 5/15/2019 at 2:21 AM, valcoholic said:

It's like it's totally cool that Serif included moving your pen-tool in the process of drawing by pressing space which is something they tried to argue wouldn't be necessary when people asked for it and now that it's there it's just a lifesaver once you got used to it. 

@valcoholic Nice little gem I did not know about.  Thanks for the tip! 

Serif, perhaps this tip should be included at the very bottom left of the AD window, with all the other bolded tool instructions?  I noticed it was not there.

• 10 months later...

More ways to do this. Maby the way it should be done?! This is also a work around... (Even if I would like to option to select by path only...)

Use "Node tool" instead of move tool. And the back to "Move tool" to move.

Br
Henric

NodeTool.gif