You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any Blend modes that takes Hue from Blend layer and retains S and Lightness (Not Luminosity) from Bottom Layer?

Software version: Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.0.243.

The Hue Blend mode in affinity is taking Saturation and Luminosity from bottom layer and Hue from Blend layer. 

Could anybody suggest is there any blend mode that retains Hue and Lightness from bottom layer and Hue from blend layer. 

View Screen Shots:

Bottom Layer: HSL (300, 100, 50)

image.thumb.png.be6f3adc093a8a9b78dd99c2b9e1919d.png

Blend Layer: HSL (100, 100, 50) (Blend Mode Normal)

image.thumb.png.f519017f7608e1a4d38bf8cb6000110f.png

Result with Blend mode Hue: HSL (100, 100, 30) Vs (What I want is (100, 100, 50) )

image.thumb.png.015e5e863f5f7282b8956b7354a1757f.png

• Staff

Hey Omprakash Selvaraj,

I've heard back from the developers and this is by design.

We use the same maths as can be seen in this PDF spec (the same as Photoshop)
https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference_archive/blend_modes.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 10:30 AM, Chris B said:

Hey Omprakash Selvaraj,

I've heard back from the developers and this is by design.

We use the same maths as can be seen in this PDF spec (the same as Photoshop)
https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference_archive/blend_modes.pdf

Yes. I understand that Adobe works that way too. Because Luminosity is to be retained from bottom layer on most occasions.

But latest version of GIMP offers two kind of "HUE" blend mods one that retains Saturation and Luminosity from bottom layer and another "HUE" blend mode that retains Saturation and Lightness from bottom layer.

Hope we expect this in future version of Affinity.

2 hours ago, Omprakash Selvaraj said:

Yes. I understand that Adobe works that way too. Because Luminosity is to be retained from bottom layer on most occasions.

But latest version of GIMP offers two kind of "HUE" blend mods one that retains Saturation and Luminosity from bottom layer and another "HUE" blend mode that retains Saturation and Lightness from bottom layer.

Hope we expect this in future version of Affinity.

I've always understood Luminosity and Lightness to be interchangeable, ie; the same thing.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

On 3/10/2019 at 4:23 PM, Ron P. said:

I've always understood Luminosity and Lightness to be interchangeable, ie; the same thing.

L in the HSL mean lightness. And this L does not come into picture when you use luminosity, color and hue blend modes. What comes is the luminosity (i.e) perceived brightness.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.