You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Allow Transform moves to be Relative as well as Absolute.

Transform moves are currently (v 1.7.0.238) absolute based on the rulers. It would be nice if moves could also be made RELATIVE to the current position of the object.

Yes, I know that one can do arithmetic in the Transform x,y values boxes, e.g. "+1.5" and end up in the place desired for the FIRST iteration of, say, a duplicate but the resultant duplicate then has a new absolute value in the x, y boxes. Instead of being "1.5", the relative move distance, it will be "2.5", a total of the original y location plus 1.5 . Any attempt to put a second duplicate the same distance away from the first duplicate as the first dupe is from the original (i.e. 1.5 ) results in an error.

Why is this of concern? You cannot then do a step-and-repeat numerically using the Transform dialogue and CTRL+J. You have to move the first duplicate manually. Only then is the movement recorded as relative and only then will the relocation of the subsequent duplicates be accurate.

I would say relative moves are done far more often than absolute moves anyway and should be an option in the Transform palette.

The way I believe it is supposed to work (and does for me):

1. Select the object (Object 1).
  2. Ctrl+J to duplicate the object, giving Object 2.
  3. In the Transform panel, move Object 2 (for example, put +1.5 in the x box).
  4. Ctrl+J to duplicate Object 2, giving Object 3. Object 3 is automatically located at Object 2 + 1.5 (that is, at Object 1 + 3).

I can't decide if that's what you want, or if you're wanting something else. But both steps 3 and 4 resulted in relative moves,  not absolute.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 2/24/2019 at 6:02 PM, SamSteele said:

Obviously image 2 is not what I wanted to include. How does one remove an uploaded image (i.e. UN-upload it?)

TKS.

The images are shown at the bottom of the post after you attach them, and each has a delete icon (trash can). It should be there if you edit the post, too.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 5 months later...
On 2/25/2019 at 8:03 AM, SamSteele said:

Transform moves are currently (v 1.7.0.238) absolute based on the rulers. It would be nice if moves could also be made RELATIVE to the current position of the object.

SUPER-MEGA-PLUS that suggestion. In 3D Studio MAX there are fields for entering x/y/z values but a toggle button to switch between absolute and relative values, which is a handy little interface. 99% of the time I'm doing relative moves so this would save a shedload of head-maths. Whilst yer at it, being able to select guidelines and move them too would be greatly appreciated too. 

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

5 hours ago, AndyQ said:

In 3D Studio MAX there are fields for entering x/y/z values but a toggle button to switch between absolute and relative values, which is a handy little interface. 99% of the time I'm doing relative moves so this would save a shedload of head-maths.

The Transform panel allows relative moves. For example, to move an object 1.5 inches to the right, just set the X position to  +=1.5in  and let Affinity do the math for you.

For more information, see the Help section on Expressions for Field Input (that link is for Photo, but it works the same in all of the Affinity applications).

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

set the X position to  +=1.5in  and let Affinity do the math for you..

Cool, thanks for that, although it's still cumbersome if you're doing a long sequence of relative moves - for example in 3D MAX (in relative mode) you can type a figure and hit enter to commit; the field is then cleared so you can just keep hitting number/enter sequences for continuous "fine-tuning" nudges; or for rapid duplicating/transforming. Glad to see there's some way to do it though; this would be fine in many cases. Cheers

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

2 hours ago, AndyQ said:

for example in 3D MAX (in relative mode) you can type a figure and hit enter to commit; the field is then cleared so you can just keep hitting number/enter sequences for continuous "fine-tuning" nudges; 

With the Affinity applications it should just take a click in the field to highlight everything, the just type your next expression over whatever is there. (At least, that's how it works on Windows.)

But I can see that's a bit more work than in the application you mentioned.

-- Walt
PC: