You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artistic Text tool printing white blocks.

Occasionally, when using the Artistic Text tool, instead of text, I'll get white blocks. It doesn't matter if I've use macro settings or not, all I get is white blocks. It only seems to happen on certain files, but once it happens, no matter what settings I use, I only get white blocks on that particular file.2008317298_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.43d7a756afa63a2c7f9ea5d597f2fa22.png

• Staff

Hi flex9050,

Are you able to provide me with one of the files so I can look into this? As far as I know, nobody else has reported this so I'd like to get to the bottom of this. Do you only have the one printer to test it with? What happens if you export to PDF?

Sorry, I don't have a file to send, as I re-edited the photo in 1.6.5.123. And it happens during my edit. I tried saving to jpg and pgn so far, and the white blocks appear on the exported photo. I haven't tried saving as a PDF. I will send a file if it happens again.

When I open your file, I see that the font color of that Artistic Text layer is about a 50% opacity white.

image.png.737973eebdc121080c6d0d3ae54b2d55.png

But I haven't figured out the white background yet.

However, white text on a white background will give the appearance of having a white block.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

That text frame has a white fill applied to the Frame

Not sure how you do/did that in Photo but easily removed if you have Publisher

Or it can be removed via Styles if you dont have publisher

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

That text frame has a white fill applied to the Frame

But it's not a Text Frame; it's an Artistic Text layer.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

The same applies no matter what type of text frame/layer

View > Studio > Text Frame will fill the Frame with a colour (in Publisher)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, Pariah73 said:

I couldn't download the file to look, so forgive me if this is a stupid question but is it possible that the Artistic Text properties are set to have a white background for the font color by mistake?

Good suggestion. And yes, setting that background color to something other than None (for example, red) would make a red background rather than a white one. However, it is set to None as you showed. In fact, when I set it to red (which gives a red background to newly typed text) and then set it back to None, I get a white background for new text, with his file.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

The same applies no matter what type of text frame/layer

View > Studio > Text Frame will fill the Frame with a colour (in Publisher)

Interesting. Thanks; I would not have expected that. Nonetheless, there is no Text Frame studio panel in Photo. So how it got set (given that it's not set in the Character panel) remains a mystery.

In Photo beta, one can set a Character Style as you suggested in another post. And in that Character Style one can set the Highlight value (in Color and Decorations) to another color, and the background changes to it. For example, I can set it to red, and then we get (for is file) 50% opacity white text on a red background. But if I set the Highlight value to None, I have a white background for the text again, and the text becomes invisible against that unwanted white background.

In his file, if I make a shape (rectangle) and set its Fill to None, the rectangle is transparent. So it's not as if "None" (transparent) has universally become White somehow. But for any setting of the artistic text, a "None" background is White, rather than transparent. This is also true for Frame Text, as well as Artistic Text.

-- Walt
PC:

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Interesting. Thanks; I would not have expected that. Nonetheless, there is no Text Frame studio panel in Photo. So how it got set (given that it's not set in the Character panel) remains a mystery.

It is a mystery but if the OP has Publisher installed that may help explain what could have happened.  The setting in the Character panel is for the Background Text colour not the Frame colour

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

In Photo beta, one can set a Character Style as you suggested in another post.

No, I said you can use Styles to remove the Frame colour, (not character styles or text styles).  Use the Styles panel to add a new "simple" style to the Artistic text layer then remove that style in the FX panel, then adjust colour of text as required.  This assumes the OP does not have Publisher as if they do it's easier just to do it in Publisher using the Text Frame panel

It's all still baffling as to how the Artistic Text got the way it is in APhoto but maybe further feedback from the OP or the Devs/Support could help explain things further

• Staff

I looked back through the History Panel and noticed an entry that read Insert: "Mark Mascilli" so it looks as though this may have been pasted in from another app or website which is why we're unable to change the style. 

@flex9050 do you think it is fair of me to assume this is what happened? Do you know where it was pasted from?

Photoshop thinks it is a Vector Smart Object. Before dev see it, we need to figure out where it came from and how it was inserted.

In the history there is an entry called "Signature" just before you insert the Artistic Text

I'm assuming that is a macro

Can you upload that macro for analysis as it may be affecting the next step you did which was inserting the Artistic Text

12 hours ago, carl123 said:

In the history there is an entry called "Signature" just before you insert the Artistic Text

I'm assuming that is a macro

Can you upload that macro for analysis as it may be affecting the next step you did which was inserting the Artistic Text

Macro.afmacro

Thanks, that macro has 2 commands which just says "Format Text" but when you run it adds a history entry called "Watermark 3.0" not Signature.

Do you still have the macro called Signature?

• 4 months later...

Did anyone figure this out? I just found out I'm having the same problem, white bg on text with ALL the colors turned off. I can't figure out where it's coming form. For now I guess I will type in designer and copy and past the text over to publisher.

Doesn't matter which persona I'm in all white backgrounds.

A fix that I'm using is type out what I want, add a style to it, then remove all the styles. For some reason this removes the white box

Late Model  2012 iMac 27inch  - 3.4 GHZ Core i7 - 32 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForces GTX 2GB - macOS High Sierra

On 3/4/2019 at 11:46 PM, carl123 said:

Thanks, that macro has 2 commands which just says "Format Text" but when you run it adds a history entry called "Watermark 3.0" not Signature.

Do you still have the macro called Signature?

42 minutes ago, BHP said:

Did anyone figure this out? I just found out I'm having the same problem, white bg on text with ALL the colors turned off. I can't figure out where it's coming form. For now I guess I will type in designer and copy and past the text over to publisher.

Doesn't matter which persona I'm in all white backgrounds.

A fix that I'm using is type out what I want, add a style to it, then remove all the styles. For some reason this removes the white box

The last update fixed my issues. I don't know what they did, but it works correctly now. 

1 hour ago, flex9050 said:

The last update fixed my issues. I don't know what they did, but it works correctly now.  

Hey Flex9050. I am up to date. Do you have designer installed and photo? Or are you using publishers stand alone?

I feel like this is some kind of setting some place more than a bug but maybe its a bug.

Late Model  2012 iMac 27inch  - 3.4 GHZ Core i7 - 32 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForces GTX 2GB - macOS High Sierra

50 minutes ago, BHP said:

Hey Flex9050. I am up to date. Do you have designer installed and photo? Or are you using publishers stand alone?

I feel like this is some kind of setting some place more than a bug but maybe its a bug.

I don't use publisher. Just Photo. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.