You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Out-of-order page numbers in Index

I just created an index but the page numbers are out of order (see screenshot below). I've read the Help doc and searched the forum for 'index AND page AND number" but don't see anything addressing this problem. I've certainly done something wrong but can't imagine what or how to tell Publisher to sort the page numbers. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

Running Affinity Beta Publisher 1.7.0.238 on macOS Mojave

1084167549_ScreenShot2019-02-24at9_43_39AM.thumb.png.e8dec5ea15a36c3449f588c5e84d0312.png

• Affinity Publisher 2.0.4
  • Affinity Photo 2.0.4
  • Affinity Designer 2.0.4
  • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.10.16
  • MacBook Air (M1, 2020) running macOS Ventura v13.0.1
  • Nikon D7100 with 18-135mm zoom

http://www.dojopico.org

It would help to see the document (.afpub file), but you would need a smaller example :)  So, without that I will make a guess: The index entries may occur in the order the text frames are linked. So, perhaps you have a text frame on page 203 that links forward to a frame on 202 which links to the frame on 205 which links to the frame on 204.

Edit: Something like that could happen if, for example, you dragged frames from one page to another to reorder them, or reordered pages without relinking the frames so the text flow was organized correctly.

Edit 2: And if that's what has happened, I think it might be considered a bug, as I would expect the index to be in page order, not in text frame order.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

34 minutes ago, afdojo said:

I just created an index but the page numbers are out of order (see screenshot below). I've read the Help doc and searched the forum for 'index AND page AND number" but don't see anything addressing this problem. I've certainly done something wrong but can't imagine what or how to tell Publisher to sort the page numbers. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

Running Affinity Beta Publisher 1.7.0.238 on macOS Mojave

1084167549_ScreenShot2019-02-24at9_43_39AM.thumb.png.e8dec5ea15a36c3449f588c5e84d0312.png

@walt.farrell made me realize this could be just the order of the layers. Check see if changing the layers' order makes any difference. I am assuming you are using master pages here.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hey Walt,

Thanks (again) for the quick and helpful reply. The .afpub file is 1.4GB so I don't think you want a copy O.o

Unfortunately (for me), the text frames are not linked. In fact, I just learned how to link text frames a few minutes ago (for the index that I'm working on).

I don't know why this should matter but all of these pages share a Master page that has (on both facing pages) one Picture Frame and two Text Frames -- one for the caption and one for the page number. The caption, of course, is different on each page so the "Caption" layers have a dashed orange vertical line on the left and when I move the cursor over the layer, a pop-up says "Unlinked Attributes: text". For this book, I want the images, captions and page numbers in the same position and with the same 'style' so using a common Master page. However, the relationship between text styles (character, typography, paragraph) on Master pages and the corresponding text styles on the N "real" pages is still very confusing to me.

I'll see if I can reproduce the problem with a smaller example.

Thanks,

Doug

• Affinity Photo 2.0.4

Thanks for the additional info, Doug.

Without having linked frames my initial guess seems unlikely to be the explanation. Still, did you do any reordering of the pages in the area where your index got out of order? If so, that might be related to the issue.

Have you tried updating the index to see if that clears it up? Text > Index > Update Index or there's an icon to click in the Index panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hey Old Bruce,

Good catch! Yes, all of the out-of-orders are switched even/odd (left/right) pages. Per your suggestion, I reordered the layers on the Master page (see screenshot below). Previously, the Verso triplet (photo, caption, page number) was above Recto so I moved Verso to the bottom. I then clicked the "update" button on the index panel but nothing changed. Maybe there is something else I need to do to get Publisher to rebuild the index?

Thanks!

Doug

755189264_ScreenShot2019-02-24at10_32_19AM.png.cb254567511b3513d66907349d206121.png

• Affinity Photo 2.0.4

I just checked with some filler text and I needed to add an item to the index to get it to update.

2 minutes ago, afdojo said:

Maybe there is something else I need to do to get Publisher to rebuild the index?

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Hey @walt.farrell and @Old Bruce

Sorry but there is some basic piece of info that I'm missing. I added and deleted several index items but nothing changed in the index. Also, per Walt's suggestion, I tried to click Text->Index->Update Index but it's grayed-out so there must be something else I need to select or click on or something.

Also, bad news -- after swapping the recto-verso layers on the Master page, the 200+ photo-caption pages got weird (see screenshot below). The Verso triplet is now at the bottom (yea!) but there is now a new layer -- a second "Verso Photo" layer that's at the top and contains the actual photo. The 'old' Verso Photo (Picture Frame) is empty.

This weirdness (Page layers don't match Master layers) and the flipped even/odd page numbers seem like bugs to me. Why would re-ordering six Master layers result in seven Page layers? Who would want an index entry "Foo 3,2,5,4,7,6" instead of "Foo 3-7"?

Again, thanks so much. I'm sure you guys have "real" work to do. I can't tell whether these issues are "me the newbie"  or "Publisher the beta".

Doug

746977138_ScreenShot2019-02-24at11_04_53AM.png.47facca28f2d1dab85a0749fc3492f0e.png.

• Affinity Photo 2.0.4

OK, @Old Bruce and @walt.farrell -- some good news. I put the triplets (image, caption and page number layers in the Master Page) in a group for each page (left and right) and then swapped the groups so the Verso/left page bits are below the Recto/right bits. I then deleted the Text Frame that contained the Index, created a new Text Frame and clicked Text -> Index -> Create Index and voila, the page numbers are ordered correctly.

I'm working on a simple/small document that will (hopefully) reproduce this "out of order page numbers in index" problem and, if successful, will open a bug.

Thanks again for your help.

Doug

p.s. There is still a disconnect between the six layers on the Master and (now) eight layers on the 'real' pages but I'll work on that later.

• Affinity Photo 2.0.4

1 hour ago, afdojo said:

voila, the page numbers are ordered correctly.

Excellent.

1 hour ago, afdojo said:

I'm working on a simple/small document that will (hopefully) reproduce this "out of order page numbers in index" problem and, if successful, will open a bug.

In my opinion this is not a bug, simply the way it works. If we pause for a moment and consider multiple Text Frames on a Page there has to be some sort of ordering and I prefer the location in the layers list. It is relatively simple to reorder them, especially if they are on a master page and that can be done once at any time after the fact.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 7:00 PM, Old Bruce said:

has to be some sort of ordering and I prefer the location in the layers list

The layers list is per-page and we are talking about page numbers.  Regardless of where the text frames are in the list of layers they are still on the same page.

7 hours ago, fde101 said:

The layers list is per-page and we are talking about page numbers.  Regardless of where the text frames are in the list of layers they are still on the same page.

The layers are Spread based and that is what caused the problem.