You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 2 months later...

Yeh, Probably didn't get us still.. if you manage to support arabic, the whole region of Middle east...  will start revolting against adobe, And most middle east company and person are less pirating compared to other regions... means, overlooking big beneficial help, if you just keep adding features for the same market.... it wont make difference but adding features so other large market can join in the wagon and start supporting is different level of benefiting. probably my last post also for pushing the RTL points in this forum.

Arabic/RTL support should be push on in your features priority. and should be expected soon.

As "mossimo32001" mentioned the whole MINA region is a big market.

I'm hoping to have Arabic support at least by the time Affinity Publisher beta is out,  with Arabic support ;)

Don't let me down, I've been AD preacher since the first beta.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On 4/12/2015 at 12:23 PM, Dave Harris said:

We do hope to add right-to-left scripts eventually, but it won't be any time soon.

Dare I ask why?! How tough can it be?! If Behdad Esfahbod single-handedly developed harfbuzz (for no money!) and made Scribus, LibreOffice, Android, etc support all types of complex and R-to-L languages and presented a wonderful service to billions of people why can't Serif do the same?!

On 9/10/2018 at 5:46 PM, Musaed said:

why can't Serif do the same?!

Hi @Musaed,

I think it is not about what Serif can do but more about what Serif can do first.

Please believe me, I've read throuth the forum over a long time, if they could implement every important feature right away they would do it. But it just isn't possible. Serif has stated several times that R-to-L support is coming at some time but is completely open when this will be (and my guess is it will take longer than shorter).

I feel with you that this must be dissapointing and I understand that there is no easy work around (I like to find work arounds). From my small (to non existant) understanding of programming I assume R-to-L support must be a major effort to implement. If not it would be available already.

All the best :)
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 9/11/2018 at 7:13 PM, dominik said:

Hi @Musaed,

I think it is not about what Serif can do but more about what Serif can do first.

Please believe me, I've read throuth the forum over a long time, if they could implement every important feature right away they would do it. But it just isn't possible. Serif has stated several times that R-to-L support is coming at some time but is completely open when this will be (and my guess is it will take longer than shorter).

I feel with you that this must be dissapointing and I understand that there is no easy work around (I like to find work arounds). From my small (to non existant) understanding of programming I assume R-to-L support must be a major effort to implement. If not it would be available already.

All the best :)
d.

Thanks, dominik.

Yes, I and many others on this forum are quite disappointed. I do understand the general technical challenge but I have a hard time understanding why it has to be "years" into the future... If support for major RTL languages is not one of the priorities, then I don't know what is! They could at least give a general time frame. I personally need to know whether or not to invest time and money into Affinity products or to seek alternatives. At the moment I'm using Scribus, Inkscape, and GIMP. But I was lured by Affinity's intuitive user experience only to be shocked by the fact that RTL support is absent and not even planned for the near future... :S

3 hours ago, Musaed said:

but I have a hard time understanding why it has to be "years" into the future...

'Years' is certainly a long period to wait and I have not seen any other information in the forum, that is more precise.

I assume the people at Serif have come to the conclusion to be anxious with that kind of announcements because there were many complaints about the somewhat delayed release of APub beta. It must be really hard for them to find the right balance between their rather open communication and not promising too much :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...