You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dumbest question ever - I can't type in text frame???

Publishing is new to me.  I can't believe that I can't get started!  Page 1, text frame, style heading 1, start typing - NOTHING.  I'm not using layers that I am aware of.  I know this is not right!  Put me on the right start path PLEASE!  Humbly thankful.

Jeri

You may need to click or double-click inside the frame.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Have you got the text frame big enough for the text you are typing? Try adding an over sized text frame and typing, you can change the style afterwards.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Probably obvious, but make sure you are using the text tool! (A few times I've tried to type, but forgotten to change the tool!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Thanks Walt - I've clicked all over!  Lol.  A left click brought up a "find in layers" box.  I could see the text there.  So, I guessing I've got some sort of strange small text or a color that matches my light blue background.  Beats me.  

A screenshot might help. Even better, save and attach your .afpub file so we can look at it.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Check the colour palette, make it look like this, if it has a white background with a red line it means no fill, so no colour

2044406545_ScreenShot2019-02-24at13_22_31.png.af04dd7e3d4f6d202151a4c1b767595a.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Just now, Jeri said:

Using the Frame Text button - but the artistic text button doesn't work either???  My text box is big.

do as Walt asked either a screenshot, or save the file and upload it here, you can drag both items into the post window and they will upload.

Like this

Untitled.afpub

okay...yes, the color panel screen shot showed me that I did have the line through the little circle. So, I cleared the line...picked red, still no text, not even with new text.  (Artist text is now working - outside of the "text frames".  hmmmm...I'll keep fiddling with it later this afternoon.  I want to like this software as I've only used MS Publisher.  And I really like A photo software.  Thanks!

Select the move tool (Black Arrow Head) and make sure the that square box is selected just above the word text, now change the pt size where it says 12pt on that top menu bar.

You also seem to have a body+ paragraph style, change that to a body style 

Your document is very large, approx 210 inches by 297 inches so consequently you would have to have very large text like 400pt, I'm guessing this is not the size you want and is more likely that you want 210mm x 297mm more commonly known as A4.

2074188336_ScreenShot2019-02-24at14_13_03.png.0c692bcd4683f25143a070f732415db3.png

By the way, @Jeri, Publisher has its own set of forums, so you should post in one of those if you need to create additional topics related to Publisher. Possibly a moderator will move this topic over there when one of them notices it here :)

-- Walt
PC:

40 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Your document is very large, approx 210 inches by 297 inches so consequently you would have to have very large text like 400pt, I'm guessing this is not the size you want and is more likely that you want 210mm x 297mm more commonly known as A4.

Good catch. And thanks for the explanation about 210x297. That set of numbers seemed familiar, but I couldn't remember why :)

For reference on needing something like 400pt for that text frame, I see that the large word "text" at the bottom of the page is 3994.5 pt.

-- Walt
PC:

Walt Farrell!  Thanks.  That was the problem.  A typo in my doc size!!!!  It was supposed to be a 12x12 page for a scrapbook.  I resized the box and like magic - the 12pt font looked normal.  I knew it had to be something simple and silly.  But through that error - I learned a lot!  I learned about the line through the color wheel.  Thanks to everyone for their help!  I'm enjoying the learning curve.

Jeri

41 minutes ago, Jeri said:

Oh - btw, sorry to the reference to the other Publisher.  Was not aware of the rule.  It won't happen again.  I'm going to learn AF publisher if it kills me! 

Its not a rule as such, it's because Affinity Publisher is in beta testing but your post isn't really an issue relating to the app being in beta so it's not a big deal, the mods may move the post but its not a biggy

5 hours ago, Jeri said:

Walt Farrell!  Thanks.  That was the problem

I only reacted to the discovery made by @firstdefence, who deserves the thanks on this one :)

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 year later...

The same thing just happened to me (AP on Mac) and I was completely baffled for a while. Thanks for sorting it out; it turns out that an image that Ihad opened and wanted to put twext into ws 6000px wide and thus the text was too minuscule to see.The same thing just happened to me (AP on Mac) and I was completely baffled for a while. Thanks for sorting it out; it turns out that an image that Ihad opened and wanted to put twext into ws 6000px wide and thus the text was too minuscule to see.

Using: Mac OSX Monterey on a Mac Mini (late 2014). Wacom Bamboo. Mouse. Pencils. Pens. Other stuff...

Kevin McSherry: Creative. Art  :  Illustration  :  Design
The Studio, 17 Aideen Avenue, Terenure, Dublin 6W.  Ireland
+353 (0)86 247 0737   www.mcsherry.ie

160604_35%2Bicon%2Baffinity.jpg