You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Files turned to Paper- Can't Open

Affinity Team and Community,

All of the Affinity Design files that I've saved (not the exported files, the actual files that I can reopen in Affinity Design) can no longer be opened. Instead of having the Affinity logo next to them, it now shows a white piece of paper.. 

I'm wondering if this is because a day or two before I moved all of the Affinity files. The files that come with the software download were scattered in my Download folder and I wanted them all in one place, so I made an Affinity folder. Inside of that I had one for the Design files that I created, and a separate one for everything else. Now I can't open the Design files and I'm not sure how to fix it. Should I uninstall Affinity Design and reinstall it?

I hope I explained this in a way that makes sense. I'd appreciate any insight or possible ways to fix it. 
Thank you
Corinne

• Staff

Hi Corinne27,

Welcome to the forums :)

It sounds as though the default app for opening your files has been changed, but this should be easy to sort!

Are you using the Windows or Mac version please?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Corinne, you need to right click on the file and select Open with... then choose the Affinity app, there should also be a check box that says "always use..."

Like this: 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

If you're running Windows 10, you can also perform the same action through settings, as my following video shows :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

First Defence and Dan, 
Thanks for your suggestions. 

When trying to follow the steps from First Defence's video (See Capture and Capture 2),  I clicked the Affinity Design app. It showed a blue loading circle, and then nothing happened. "Capture" is from right clicking, and "Capture 2" is with double clicking the file. 

I then proceeded to follow the steps from Dan's video, as seen in Capture 3, 4, and 5. I found the Affinity files in Default programs>file by type. Instead of the Affinity logo, there was a blue square and when I clicked it it said there is no installed app. Continuing to the app store prompts me to purchase Affinity Designer. I did not see options for logging in or reclaiming something that I had already purchased.

I can open Affinity Designer from my Task Bar and create a new file, and it can be saved. But I cannot reopen any files. 

Thank you again for your help in trying to solve this. I really have no idea what happened. I'd appreciate any additional ideas that you might have. I hope the information I included is helpful.

Thank you again!
Corinne

Capture.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

capture 4.PNG

capture 5.PNG

On 2/23/2019 at 10:43 PM, Corinne27 said:

I moved all of the Affinity files

I wonder if you have moved the location of your executable file and sundry others without telling the Operating System.  This might account for your problems. Try putting everything back where it was (you do remember, don't you), or restoring from a backup.

If you want your Affinity files somewhere else the best time to do it is when you are installing them (after uninstalling). Failing that, try the utility Application Mover. This moves your files and modifies the Registry as it does so. I'm assuming Windows here.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• Staff
15 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I wonder if you have moved the location of your executable file and sundry others without telling the Operating System.  This might account for your problems.

I agree, based on the following screenshot -

image.png

If you can't move all the folders and files back to their original place, you will likely need to uninstall Affinity Designer and reinstall it into the preferred location. I'd recommend using the Microsoft Uninstaller to ensure that all files are removed correctly before reinstalling :)

https://support.microsoft.com/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I really have no idea what happened. I am certainly never again going to so carelessly move files. The problem is resolved now. I copied all of the Affinity files on my computer so that I did not make anything worse. 

Then I deleted the software and files all together. I was able to reinstall the software from my Affinity account, which still had the product key. Now everything has returned to normal and is working as it should. I have taken special care with the files.

I appreciate your help trying to solve this! I'm sure troubleshooting is a lot harder when you're far away and can't look at the computer. You've all done a great job! Thank you!