dmstraker

[Fixed] Bug or 'feature'? Blend mode mouse-over/mouse-out behaviour changed

In version 1.6, when you activate the blend mode drop-down menu, you can mouse down the blend mode list to see the effects appear live.

The same works for 1.7.243. All well and good.

Now, if you slide the cursor sideways out of the blend mode list in 1.6, the image returns to its current blend mode. This is handy for comparing alternative blends (in-out-in-out).

However, if you do the same in 1.7.243, the blend mode in the image does not revert until you click somewhere.

Maybe this is intentional, to avoid slipsy confusion? If so, it also does away with the very useful previous behaviour. Can we have the 1.6 behaviour back, please?

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast Photo with i7-3770 + 16Gb RAM + Philips 40in 4K; Surface Pro 4 i5

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

In my case you have to click on the original Blend mode, in this case Color Burn was there when I moved off and remained there even when clicking elsewhere. If you click on the Layer or another it will revert.

image.thumb.png.0bc04e3bad787de75c19de914df526ee.png

Win 10 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch
 - Sys : Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

I'm getting the same as AiDon.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123, Beta 1.7.0.243; Win10 Home Version:1803, Build: 17134.706: Intel i7-4770, 3.40GHz, 16GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645 

11 hours ago, dmstraker said:

Can we have the 1.6 behaviour back, please?

+1

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123  &  1.7.0.293 bèta

Windows 10 Home v 1809 (build 17763.437) - 64 bit processor - AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics  1.50GHz - RAM 8,00 GB
Calibrated Monitor (Datacolor Spyder5 Pro)

I'm seeing what dmstraker has reported. In 1.6, mousing to the side will display the original image without any Blend Mode preview. In 1.7, mousing to the side just retains the preview of the last Blend Mode you were looking at.

macOS is also showing this new Windows behaviour but it does in 1.6 too.

I must admit I like the way 1.6 handled this but perhaps it has been changed to match macOS? 

10 hours ago, Chris B said:

I'm seeing what dmstraker has reported. In 1.6, mousing to the side will display the original image without any Blend Mode preview. In 1.7, mousing to the side just retains the preview of the last Blend Mode you were looking at.

macOS is also showing this new Windows behaviour but it does in 1.6 too.

I must admit I like the way 1.6 handled this but perhaps it has been changed to match macOS? 

So why not change the macOS version to match PC?

Yes, I know it'll send maccers into paroxysms, macs being superior in all ways, etc. But why not? (could be entertaining just to suggest it :)

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast Photo with i7-3770 + 16Gb RAM + Philips 40in 4K; Surface Pro 4 i5

Same problem in .251 beta... any news on this ?

Yes, I consider this as a problem... and yes, it would be nice indeed to have back the 1.6 behaviour. IMHO, using APhoto is (far) less appealing now. I used this a lot.

Cheers,

P.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1070 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB - RAM 64 Go

Ah! Thanks all, I was wondering what was happening yesterday evening… and thought a good night of sleep would resolve this strange behavior, but it wasn't me ! :)

... and I do not understand the rational behind this new (Mac?) behaviour. It was absolutely perfect in previous betas (& still is in 1.6) without the need of clicking, clicking and clicking again and again... [:P isn't it what developers try to avoid ? ;)]

Cheers,

P

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1070 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB - RAM 64 Go

24 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

It was intentional in 1.6, we should investigate why this isn’t working the same way. 

Thank you for confirming this. I was already wondering what app I was going to use in replacement of APh :P

Hopefully this feature will be back in the next beta... next week ;) ... oh well, when it is ready.

Cheers,

Patrick

Another effect or two which I presume is the same issue:

• Duplicate layer.
  • Frequency saturation. Blend mode of HF layer remains at normal until you click on another layer and then back to the HF layer.
  • Now Blend Mode on HF layer is Linear Light.
  • History panel. Click stepwise back up the history states. The Linear Light blend mode doesn't change.

Dave Straker

On 3/2/2019 at 10:20 AM, Mark Ingram said:

It was intentional in 1.6, we should investigate why this isn’t working the same way. 

Problem still there in the last .256 beta.

Patrick

15 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Yep - if it's not in the list of fixes / changes, then it will still be broken...

Indeed - too bad...

21 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

I've just checked and this will be fixed in the next build.

Thank you for your positive feedback.

46 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

The fix is now available in 1.7.0.258.

Thank you for providing so quickly these new fixes ! Smooth installation and APh is working very well so far :) (but only tested 10 min).

Congratulations and thumbs up thumbup.gif

Cheers,

Patrick

[Edit : I see this "intermédiaire" option... what does it do ? I never noticed or forgot.]

[Edit 2: Never mind, I've found in the help]

Capture.JPG

Thanks for your help with this bug. We have now resolved the problem and will make the fix available in the next Windows release.