Hornisse

Black images, NIKON RAW

I didnt find a topic, so I open a new thread. Now I used AP frequently in vaccation to develop my best pictures each day. The images were imported to Apples foto app. They are Nikon RAW files from Nikon D800e. New Apple iPad Pro 11“.

AP showed the following behavior: The first image opens properly in develop persona. I follow my workflow and want to open a second file. This file looks like a heavy underexposed picture. In my oppinion it seems that the ISO speed is not involved in the demosaicing interpolation. If I cancel the developing process and open the file again every thing works fine. The next file is dark again, opens normal after cancel the import and so on..

I hope its helpfull.

Greetings Hornisse

Hi Gabe,

l uploaded 2 images, but not sure how to see them here. The dark image is like described a RAW file now developed without any changes and exported as jpg. The second attempt results in open the image in a right way. It was also developed without changes and exported in the same matter.

Again, I know that the ISO speed in my camera is calculated before quantisation and discretisation and the dark image looks like a picture from an isoless cam, so I assume that here is a missing of that step. Please let me know your oppinion.

Greetings

Hornisse

6 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Can you also upload the RAW file?

I tried it but dropbox showed only 2MB. If it failed I will upload it from my desktop.

Greetings 

Hornisse

The RAW file is uploaded now.

This time I remembered the exact workflow the error occured. I forgot one step. As described above an additional  step was made: the image was exported as jpg high quality in export persona to Photo Manager Pro. Then I left export persona with click on the arrow in the upper left corner. Only then (open new image) the bug occured.

Greetings

Hornisse

Your workflow seems to rely on several RAW files, but you have only uploaded one RAW file. I cannot replicate the issue with one. If you can:

• Upload some more RAW files
  • Send us a screen recording with this bug in action

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

Your workflow seems to rely on several RAW files, but you have only uploaded one RAW file. I cannot replicate the issue with one. If you can:

• Upload some more RAW files
  • Send us a screen recording with this bug in action

You can reproduce it with one or several files. The two new images I uploaded are the same pics opened twice.

1. import the RAW file from Apple Photo App

2. the Coati looks right exposed (first screenshot)

3. developed and opened in Photo Persona

4. export to everywhere from Export Persona 

5. leave Export Persona with the upper left arrow

6. import the same image again or another RAW

7. the result is a dark image (second screenshot)

8. pay attention to the histogram, all levels are compressed to the left side, so I assume the ISO speed was‘nt calculated

9. cancel the developing process and open the same or another RAW file

10. now you get the pic like described in step 2 (first screenshot)

Hope you can reproduce the bug. If you then need more RAWs I will upload some more

Greetings

Hornisse

Now I played a little to better understand the behavior. The two pics from the volcano are screenshots from Develop Persona and Photo Persona. You see that in DP no slider shows any changes. What I did not before I opened the dark image in Photo Persona and tried an extreme curve. As you see the most informations in the image are present. 

Greetings

Hornisse