You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find command doesn't open a collapsed Find pane

Original post title: Find command doesn't work

To replicate: Create new file and insert some text, or open an existing file. Press command-F. The "Text" menu flashes briefly, but nothing happens. No Find dialog appears.

Version: 1.7.0.238, downloaded today.

MacOS 10.14.3.

Thanks!

Edited by Colin_Fredericks
Edited post title to better reflect later things in thread.

5 minutes ago, Colin_Fredericks said:

Version: 1.7.0.238, downloaded today.

That version is an old one. .249 was released yesterday, though It's only available by manual download from the forums at this time.

That's the standard update sequence, by the way. First it's posted to the forums, then sometime later it's made available via auto-update.

You can get it here: 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

To bad. But it may be something weird happening to you as I don't recall anyone else reporting a problem using Find.

Does it work if you open the Text menu and try it from there?

Or if you do it via the Find and Replace studio?

If none of those work, you might try View > Reset Studio.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I tried this on a Mac laptop and it works as expected. However the first time I tried find, I couldn't find the find dialogue box. Turns out it was hiding on the left side panel with Pages and Assets. So I would also recommend going to the View menu, slide down to Studio and then slide over and down to Reset Studio and give it one more try.

rusty - Macintosh: macOS Big Sur 11.1. Memory 16 GB

Try this.   Go to View>Studio> and then check Find and Replace then look at the panel which shows your master pages and pages.   You should see something like this.   Then go into your text frame, enter Command + F, and this popup menu will show up.    The actual Find/Replace operation is working beautifully.   Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, Colin_Fredericks said:

Yeah, just got that. Turns out .249 has the same issue. :(

31504492_ScreenShot2019-02-23at2_26_09PM.png.d7e6d94ec4c4454d4e2f028e13a87484.png 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Ohhhhh oh that's not better.

So what's happening is that, like folks said, the "Find and Replace" box is hiding in the left panel. If that panel is collapsed, hitting command-F or using the menu item does not open it in any way. Typing after pressing command-F just puts text into my document (or rapidly switches tools) rather than doing findy things. If I remove the Find & Replace studio... thing... pane? Let's call it a pane. If I remove that pane, command-F brings it up, but if it's collapsed, command-F doesn't change its status.

Hitting "Reset Studio" did fix this, but not for long. Rearranging the studio so it's all on the right-hand side, and collapsing the Find & Replace tab, puts me back in the original situation. This is a problem because I don't have the screen real estate to keep that open all the time. I can at least get to it now (thanks for the suggestions everyone!) but it's definitely still a bug.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.